Fun day at the local range this week

Picher

Two buddies and I went to Capitol City R&P this week and shot our bolt-action rifles. I brought my .223 Rem, Remington 700 SS LV, .243 Win, Rem 700 ADL - 1980 vintage, (converted from .22-250), and .270 Win, Rem 700 BDL SS, in a Sendero stock.

All the rifles shot quite well and it was fun hitting my flip targets at 200 yards, even using some handloads that didn't meet my usual grouping desires.

Being 71, I don't have a lot of really good offhand days, but was surprised and pleased that I hit a 10" gong at 230 yards four times in a row with the .223 and the last four rounds of a batch.

I can't remember the last time that's happened, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. ;)

Hope you guys soon have some great days at the range. It's a great pick-me-up when things aren't going as well as we'd like.

I just love helping my grandkids shoot well!

Took the two 14-yr old grandsons to the range Friday and had them shooting small metal silhouettes and other targets from 35-50 yards offhand. They did quite well and soon set up a shoot-'til-you miss competition. Both did about the same, despite one having shot gallery this winter.

Yesterday, my 19-year old Army Ranger grandson and I shot offhand with .22 LR K-22 and Ruger 10-22; then, .38 spl in 4" Mod 19 S&W, then .45 Colt Gold Cup and .223 Rem, Mod 700 LV. He loved the .45 and shot it very well.

His combat semi-crouch stance didn't work as well for the .223 Mod. 700 as it may have for his M4, but accuracy standards were higher with bullseye targets. After relaxing and shooting fully-standing, he shot more accurately.

Very nice having him, his mother and 3 sisters here for a few days. The older girls shoot quite well also. The 14 year old shot a huge doe at 180 yards last year.

Great story, and I can absolutely relate to how well you can get a "pick me up" with some great shooting if you have otherwise had an average or below session.

I have some handguns that can almost always improvey attitude on amy range day. ;)

Back