Fun Contender Varmint/Benchrest Caliber

Nathan

Anybody have a fun easy shooting Contender barrel? I'm looking at something 17, 22 or possibly 6mm cal to shoot flat base bullets out of out to about 300 yards max. I would prefer rimfire or commonly available dies and cases.

Right now, I'm thinking 22 K Hornet, 17 HMR or possibly 222 Rem. Your thoughts?

Out to 300 I'd go with a 6tcu. Dies are fairly easy to come by and 223 brass is plentiful. .243 bullet will buck the wind pretty well. I like the 22K-hornet but it peters out at about 200 for me. My current favorite is a 223 AI with a 1:9" twist. it throws those 69gr bullets just dandy out to 300 and a bit beyond.

My Contender 223 doesn't have that fast a barrel (1:9), although it is 16 inches long. I can shoot well at 200 to 250 yards with the scope and a rest. After that it gets a little dicey.

If you are really shooting at 300 yards or more, one of the heavier bullet cartridges would be better.

I love my 7mm TCU - but that is old school now days. It was THE ram round back in the day...

I'm sure one of the young wildcatters will show up here in a minute with a 6mm eargenspliteen loudenboomer du jour. Boy are they fun to shoot!

My 223 is hell on prairie dogs though...

I've always like the .22 Hornets. Its a little old school nowadays but still effective to shoot. I'm interested in building a single shot in 6tcu myself. Something to be just a little different.

Any of the TCU rounds will do the job.

Check out the 6.5 TCU. I don't have one(I want one) but on paper they look real good. I have a 6 and 7mm TCU both are great but for what you want I would lean toward the 6mm.

Hmmm....now I'm really liking the 6mm TCU in a 1:12 twist for ~62 gr FB match bullets! That is a nice round with relatively normal die prices!

22 K Hornet seem to be similarly cool, but I could use a Lapua brass in the 6mm TCU!

17 HMR would be easiest, but do I do this for ease????

Now if you want to expand your range a bit, with the trade off in increased recoil of course, the 6 jdj will put you way out there. Dies are a bit expensive, the barrel is custom, but the way T/C barrels have gone up in price this becomes less and less noticeable.

even in my Volguartsen target rifle the 17HMR would never be a good one for 300 yards. If no wind at all you could do 200 but if a gopher farts out there your gonna miss your target :-)

The simplest way to go would be 223 if your only wanting 300 yards. But a 222 or any thing close would work. If you looking for the best groups get one with a fast twist and shoot heavy bullets. A barrel with a 9 twist, which is pretty common and will handle 60 gr bullets and still let you use 50 and 55 gr bullets for garments.

My most accurate center fire contender barrel is a 22 Hornet. I have a 222 and 223 but the Hornet will shoot tighter groups. The only TCU I have is a 7 from the silhouette days and it does well but my old 30 Herrett is still a favorite at distance.

If you looking for the best groups get one with a fast twist and shoot heavy bullets. A barrel with a 9 twist, which is pretty common.....

Interesting....everything I've experienced and read tells me flat base bullets are more accurate until wind and trajectory are the main accuracy factors. Basically, regular 100/300 benchrest vs 1000 yd benchrest competition. Unless those worlds have changed, which they do, 100/300 is dominated by 6mm PPC shooting FB bullets with a ~1:14 twist.

I thought we were talking Contenders? You won't find many shooting a 6PPC in a contender. In my 223 AI the best groups come from Sierra 69gr match BTHP's from 100-300.

"I thought we were talking Contenders? You won't find any shooting a 6PPC in a contender."

Fix it for you....

Oh there are a few. All it takes is a 6tcu barrel and a reamer. Well that and a disregard for one's safety. Can't tell you how many garage reamed barrels I've run into.

Opps, I lied. The PPC cartridge I got from a fellow Contender shooter was a 22PPC. The 6mm I saw was a 243.

Last edited:
6 or 7 br or 7mm ihmsa will reach out there well. The 7 mm ihmsa is based on 30-30 case, so easy to get. Also the 22 br is a very accurate load.

I just this last year put together a 10" Octagon barrel 25-35 with the old style checkered for arm and grip. Put a 4x Weaver on it with a Redfeild rings and base. Haven't shot it a whole lot but what I have seems to be fine, a little bit loud though.;)

Back