Fun at the theater ... ;)

Jeff Thomas

Went to the ice cream store last night with my wife and kids, and then strolled in the mall. There was a movie theater around the corner, so we went by to see what was playing. All the movies had started long ago, so there was no one out front except for us.

As I walked up to the window I noticed a sign that read 'No Weapons Allowed in Theater'. ;) I thought of TFL ...

The young guy handling the ticket counter brightly asked 'May I help you, sir?', and gave me a big smile. I could almost make out the bullseye on his forehead. 'Oh, we're just looking at what's playing, but ... tell me about this sign. This doesn't apply to concealed carry permit holders, does it?' I could even feel the twinkle in my eye.

'Oh, yes - we don't allow any weapons inside' he chirped. 'Oh ... so you guarantee our safety if we enter', I asked. 'Oh, yes' he smiled. 'How do you guarantee our safety?', I inquired. And, no kidding, he pointed to the sign. ;) 'You mean that sign handles it? No armed guards ... no metal detectors', I asked with a quizzical expression. 'Uh, well ... I suppose we wouldn't know if someone had a weapon, would we?', he responded - the brain cells had begun to flicker on. 'No, I don't think you would (also thinking of Mr. Kahr in my pocket), and I'll bet bad guys, like the ones this sign is intended to stop, really wouldn't care about a sign like this would they?', I innocently asked. 'Uh, I guess not ...', he said, now looking like he has actually considered the issue.

'Well, have a nice night', and I smiled and walked away with my little boy in tow.

Really wasn't a fair 'fight', but I try to practice whenever I can ... ;)

Cognitive dissonance. We've got to keep making a few of them actually check their logic now and then. Thanks to TFL for helping me become better at structuring these discussions, thus improving my 'hit' ratio ... :)

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited October 31, 1999).]

i love it good work im going to have to try that some time

------------------
oneshotonekill

And what makes it so great is that you not only "win" the discussion but actually convert the "enemy" (ok,ok, the "fence sitter").

Neatly done, Jeff!

(Get Jeff a Shiner Bock while you're up, will ya please. :D )

Back