Fun at the range: twice! IDPA classifier, etc.

Amelia

Me and my Glock 19 met Capbuster at his range yesterday. We shot for a couple of hours. It was cold and drizzling, but we didn't mind.

Hey Ala Dan, I have some brass saved for you...

I think I might have done 200 rounds? I'm not sure. I tried out several of his toys, but I prefer my 19. I always learn a lot of new things from friends like this and get to try out different guns, which is fun. He tried my Glock, too. I think now he will talk nice about Glocks...

We shot targets at a fairly close range (I don't remember how many yards, maybe 10) and then some bowling pins that were just sitting there on the range waiting to be shot. Now, you have to keep your eye on your buddy Capbuster when you have some bowling pins set up. I went out and set some of the bowling pins back up once. 3 for me and 3 for him because those happened to be conveniently located. Then, that turkey shot my bowling pins while I was shooting my target!

The Glock only malfunctioned once, with the spent brass not fully ejecting, probably me limp wristing. I tried Rack-tap-bang, but got a double feed and then had to stop and figure out how to extricate things.

Anyhow, I enjoyed getting to shoot again. With the IDPA classifier today, that's two times at the range in one weekend! Woo hoo!

Today, me and my Glock 19 drove up to B'ham and shot an IDPA classifier match. I've only participated in one IDPA match before, but I wanted to do this classifier thing so that I'll have a score to compare to in the future to see if there's any improvement.

It was fun! It had about 90 rounds in 3 stages with multiple strings. All three targets were stationary and shots were taken from 5 to 20 yards, both stationary standing and kneeling, while moving forward and back, and from behind cover. Some strong hand only and weak hand only shooting was also included.

The Glock performed flawlessly as usual, and my shooting was not the greatest as usual. Esp., 20 yards seems a long way!

My score was pretty pathetic, but of course I am not surprised to be classified as a novice, since that's what I am! I did try to take my time and focus on hitting the target rather than being fast, which seemed to work better than I thought. I only had a few complete misses of the target, thankfully. I expected it to be much worse. But, boy am I slow...

Anyhow, about 6 people shot the classifier and everyone took turns being range officer, timer, scorer, paster, magazine loader, etc. It was very fun and very friendly. I hope to join this private shooting club in the future, if they'll have me.

One other shooter was also using a Glock 19. He uses his better than I use mine, though.

:)

Amelia

------------------
Armed women are citizens.. un-armed women are subjects and/or rape targets.
-
True safety is in the Lord, but precaution is sound wisdom.

Amelia, I appreciate you thinking of me, by saving the spent
brass.:D:) Ole' Capbuster told me you shot the S&W .44 Magnum, for the first time.:eek: What was your impression of
this "wheelgun"?:rolleyes: I'm sure the member's here at TFL
would want to know.:p

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Ala Dan... i still want to try your Glock

Wheelgun: It's heavy, I could never carry it... but I do like those big holes in my target! And the recoil didn't kill me! :)

Speaking of wheelguns... at the classifier today, one of the men was using a revolver (and wonderfully well, I might add), but anyhow we were all helping out with timing, and pasting, and reloading mags and such, to keep things moving. I loaded his speedloaders for him. And, frankly, it's just too much trouble! I prefer my glock and its nice mags. :D

IPSC.....

More shooting - certainly.

Way fun - absolutely.

Less rules - please....

Amelia, glad you enjoyed shooting the classifier. It's a good skills test and if you have a range that will let you set it up, it is a good thing to practice regularly. I use it a lot to monitor progress as well as to compare guns. Those 20 yard shots are harder than they look and it is this stage that kills most shooters' classifications.

WESHOOT2

I was going to try the IPSC match at another range last Sunday afternoon, but the weather was really icky and I had the flu. I will try it next time. :)

jfrancis, I'll find out if I can practice it some before next time. I'm sure it'll be a while before they have another classifier. I sure need the practice! :)

The Glock only malfunctioned once, with the spent brass not fully ejecting, probably me limp wristing. I tried Rack-tap-bang, but got a double feed and then had to stop and figure out how to extricate things.

I've seen this before with Glocks. The slide has come back far enough to strip a fresh round while the empty case has not been ejected clear. A standard Tap-Rack-Bang drill then results in a double feed. The best way to deal with a failure to eject and/or a double feed in the Glock is more like: Rip-Rack-Reload. Remove the magazine, Rack the slide to clear the empty case and any live rounds, and Reload.

Back