Full stock to pistol grip...is that allowed?

Kvon2

So I'm considering buying a maverick 88 and turning it in to a pistol grip only using a hogue tamer.

I understand this may be a state by state thing and of course I live in Maryland. My question is, I understand if you buy a PGO shotgun it is categorized as "other", not a shotgun because it is not designed to be fired from the shoulder.

If I buy a full stock maverick 88 and then put the tamer on it, is that legal? Because the firearm was originally designed to be fired from the shoulder, I'm not 100% sure what the deal is here.

It would be compliant with the OAL requirements so it would not be an issue there.

As long as you meet minimum barrel and over-all lengths, from a FEDERAL standpoint, you're GTG. As you said, MD may have other restrictions.

Perfectly legal. But I never recommed a pistol grip only setup. You really can only shoot from the hip as if you try to use the sight your gonna lose your teeth. Shoulder stick is the way to go and most experts will agree. A pistol grip shotgun is good for door breaching and not much else. Really unpleasant to fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Maverick 88 is basically a Mossburg 500. With the 18.5" barrel and a pistolgrip the overall length is over the Federal min

Good to go from a Federal standpoint. Md may or may not have State regulations to comply with.

I don't really want to do the pgo or not argument...the tamer is $30 so the risk in my eyes is pretty minimal, if I hate it I'll change it back.

I can't seem to find any MD laws one way or another on it

Having had a PGO, it quickly got a regular stock installed. That said, if you insist on a pistol grip, take a good look at a birdshead grip; the angle is less conducive to wrist pain and damage while giving you a short package.

I put a AR15 style collapsible stock with pistol grip on mine. Very nice set up. Pistol grip by its self pretty much sucks.

The only things you should be worried about are overall length and barrel length. when I bought my mossberg 500 cruiser with an 18.5 inch barrel, it came with a regular stock attached and a pistol grip loose in the box. simple as unscrewing and rescrewing a screw and done. So if your maverick 88 is close to the mossberg 500 dimensions then you should be fine. oh and PGOs are awesome if all you want to do is destroy trash items on an outdoor range that allows you to bring your own targets. and nice and compact too

Back