Full sized slide with officer frame?

Cyric13

Has anyone seen a 1911 like this or built one like this before. I carry a full sized and have no problem carrying it concealed but I'm planning on building a 1911 from the frame up and the thought interested me. Might help during the summer here. Would any modifications be needed to the frame or slide to do this?

thanks Cyric

I have carried a gun like that for nearly 20 years. My first one was a stainless steel Randall General Curtis LeMay frame with a blue Colt Commander top end. In 1987 I had Colt build one for me on an Officers frame, but I had to come up with money to have 350 of them built as the Personal Security Service Special. No money so no production. A few years ago Colt offered that pistol as the Concealed Carry Officers model. My current version is a Para-Ordnance satinless steel P-12 frame with an enhanced Colt Commander slide, Briley ramped barrel, and other goodies. The Commander slide is used because the frame dust cover is the same length on the Commander and Officer size frames. A Govt frame dust cover is longer so using a Govt size slide on an Officer frame will leave about a 1/2" gap in front of the dust cover which leaves the recoil spring exposed. Any gunsmith can lengthen the dust cover if you must use the Govt slide, though I prefer the Commander since it is easier to conceal, doesn't require the frame to be welded up, doesn't lose much velocity, and has a more reliable recoil system than the Officer or Defender length slides.

Back