Full Length or Neck sizing Brass

Neck only for several firings or until bolt closing stiffens up.

After each range session, I neck size and then check several cases in the rifle (6.5 CM, and 308) for bolt closing to decide if I need to full length size or just clean and reload.
I use Redding dies for both so I have their body die to full length size if need be.

full length, why wait till the bolt is hard to close ? Sometimes I have more than one rifle chambered in a cartridge, easy to just FL size rather than separate them out

Proper full length sizing bottleneck cases has proven best for accuracy since the late 1950's. Set the fired case shoulder back a thousandth or two for long case life. Case necks are better centered on the shoulder when full length sized and therefore bullets are centered in the bore when fired.

I've seen better accuracy with new cases compared to neck only resizing. Especially with belted magnum cases. New cases are full length sized.

The only time I hav been neck sizing is with my 300 win mag. When I full length size those cases. I am setting the shoulder back .019" evrertime I size, and then blowing it forward th same amount every time I fire it.

I have not had a case failure, but I didn't feel right moving the brass that much. Everything else I full length size.

The only time I hav been neck sizing is with my 300 win mag. When I full length size those cases. I am setting the shoulder back .019" evrertime I size, and then blowing it forward th same amount every time I fire it.

I have not had a case failure, but I didn't feel right moving the brass that much. Everything else I full length size.
Did you ever try adjusting the FL die to set fired case shoulders back only 2 thousandths? That'll let the resized case headspace on its shoulder for excellent accuracy and long case life.

Backing the die out one fourth turn moves it about .018 inch up.

Last edited:
Did you ever try adjusting the FL die to set fired case shoulders back only 2 thousandths? That'll let the resized case headspace on its shoulder for excellent accuracy and long case life.

Backing the die out one fourth turn moves it about .018 inch up.
I did eventually...

Back