Full CHoke?

hube1236

I am trying to buy a used 12 ga for a first time gun. I am looking for a turkey/ quail / duck gun. I will most likely specialize once I learn how to hunt (no deer). I have seen a Moss with a fixed full choke. I have seen a Winchester with a modified (and removable choke) both going for under $300. Of course the sales guy is pointing me at the Beneeli Super Black Hawk for Dunk ($1000) in 12 ga 3 1/2" mag and a nice O/U for turkey/ quail in 20 ga ($1400). Do I need to look that good while hunting birds, and you old guys shun me, an obvious novice. Or, if hunting field bird with a dirty duck gun, I will still be considered a human being?

If you can shoot and hit the target with the gun, why worry what other people think of the gun? Anyone who laughs at a newbie because of the gun he shoots is an a**hole, and you can tell them I said so :)

In the field, people are less likely to notice what gun you use. I suggest getting a gun with interchangeable chokes as it will be more versatile. Also the ability to mount different barrels may become important to you in the future.

Buy lots of ammo and practice and pattern your gun. Enjoy shooting, screw the old farts who look down their nose at you, they probably can't shoot anyway.

Geoff Ross

------------------
I am no expert but I DO have an opinion.

Hube, I'd hunt with ya even if you showed up with a Mossberg(G)....

Choke tubes mean versatility,and are a heckuvalot cheaper than more shotguns, and almost as much fun.

For a first,GP shotgun, a good pump or semi auto with a coupla choke tubes is a great starter, or finisher.Add a slug bbl and appropriate sights, you've geared for all North American game(at sane ranges) and some great clay fun.

Do NOT get a 3 1/2" chambered shotgun for a first shotgun. If you do, sooner or later you'll shoot 3 1/2" shells, and start a very expensive flinch.

Also,most turkey guns are 12s and 10s, since a heavy payload is needed. Quail get shot with 20s and 28s and fall down with satisfying regularity if the shooter does his/her part.

Lessee, for the bird 870 I've got a super Full,Skt I and Modifed tubes. It covers the gamut from woodcock and clays to turkey.

Back