Full Auto Rifle Requirements???

9guy

What do you need to do/have in order to be able to legally own a fully auto rifle? By do/have, I mean certifications, licenses, etc.

Is this a federal or state mandate? I assume it would be easier in TX than in some of the hippie-filled, gun hating states like California. BTW, no offense to Cali residents, but you know it's true...

If I wanted to convert my AK to fully auto in TX, what license would I need to obtain to do this legally?

Legally owning a full-auto isn't difficult--just the federal tax stamp, and purchase through a class-III licensed dealer. The class-III weapons tend to be a little on the pricy side though--average anywhere from about $5K and up.

As for CONVERTING your AK to a full-auto? Not happening.

As for CONVERTING your AK to a full-auto? Not happening.

Why not? Is a requirement of ownership that you purchased from a class III dealer? If not, then why can't you convert one of your existing guns?

Anybody got any links/info on requirements of owning full autos?

Couldn't he just have a class II manufactuer do the conversion and then have a class III dealer make the transaction?

Couldn't he just have a class II manufactuer do the conversion and then have a class III dealer make the transaction?

Short answer is that it had to be registered as a full auto prior to 1986. Check the ATF website.

Way back in 1986, the democrats attached an amendment to the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act that prohibits, aka BANS, the manufacture and/or registration of machineguns for civilians after the law became effective in May 1986.

That means only machineguns registered with ATF prior to that date may now be bought and sold among civilians. So an M16 you used to be able to buy for a few hundred dollars now costs approximately $15,000. And the prices are going up about $1,000 per year.

Anybody got any links/info on requirements of owning full autos?

Bardwell's NFA FAQ

Back