full auto pistols

Freetacos

Anyone have experience shooting a MAC-10, Glock 18, or any type of full auto subcompact? I know they are illegal for most purposes, but I would like to try one out just for kicks. I hear that in Las Vegas they have ranges where you can rent some for range time. So I will probably get to try one there.

Also what is the primary tactical niche for such weapons, i.e. room clearing, protecting dignitaries etc. Thanks

I have a SWD M11/9mm, one of the last of the MAC lineage. It will dump a mag in about a second and a half, depending on the ammo. With good mags, they are reliable.

There really is no point shooting it without the stock out. With the stock out, and proper technique, it can be a very effective weapon, and plenty accurate to reasonable distances. They are primarily a close range weapon, but with some of the add ons, you can do quite well farther out. All that stuff kind of defeats the purpose though, I think.

Forget everything you see on TV. They dont play well with people trying to shoot with one in each hand, stock closed, and like I said, run time is about a second and a half, not half an hour.

I have a M11/.380, also known as a bullet hose. They were actually designed for use with a suppressor too. Their purpose is extreme CQC and certain covert operations.

I shot an Ingram MAC-10 once, .45ACP, and it was a fun experience. Biggest problem is that we went through about $50 worth of ammo in a few seconds. The last one I heard of for sale was about $3K + the $200 BATF tax. It was fun to try out a full auto just for giggles, but I don't want to own one.

No, the last thing I bought was a new .22 pistol. Suits me just fine.

Now, if I could find a .22LR full-auto, then that would be a whole 'nother story. That .45ACP was just too expensive to shoot, even with mil-surp ammo. 1200 rds/min can do that.

I've heard that .22LR full-autos have been made in the past, but I've never seen one. :)

American 180 full-auto .22lr.
American180.jpg

That thing looks like a mile of giggles Bill

The Mongoose here that raid my chicken coup would catch hell for sure if I had one.

The first time I ever heard of the American 180 was also the first time I ever heard of a laser sight. I'ts been awhile.

Some prison was issuing them to their guards and had put on a demonstration for the prisoners. They said they hadn't had any problems since then.

I once saw a video of them sawing the end off a railroad tie with one. They have a cyclic rate of something like 30 rounds a second. I think the drums hold something like 177 rounds. I believe the FBI or SS were using the pistol version at one point.

WOW-- That American 180 is the greatest thing I have ever seen!!!

I would give A LOT for one of those!!!There would not be a safe tin can or mellon for miles.
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
See, just looking at something full auto and the stress is already leaving the body! Just imagine how much better it is when you shoot them. :D

I've owned two AM180s and while they are fun for a line shoot, I think they're a little delicate and finnicky for serious work. Let me clear up a few misconceptions about them though:

Contrary to what you may think, just because they shot .22 doesn't mean they are cheap to shoot. The cyclic rate averages between 27-30rds/sec, so you can easily cburn through several thousand rounds in an afternoon. I was buying Federal Lightnings by the 5000rd case (about $125 delivered) and a single case would last 1-2 shooting sessions. Just think, the largest drum holds more than half a brick of .22 ammo (275rds), and that only takes about 9-10 seconds to unload.

Since the selector pins on AM180s have a tendency to break more often if you stop firing in the middle of a drum, the more you stop, the more spares you'll need (at about $10/each). Of course if you don't stop, you just burn through ammo more quickly. If you do stop in the middle of a drum, the guns also have a tendency to keep going for a few rounds (and at that speed, its usually more than just a 'few'). They just don't like the stop-start-stop-start action.

The Utah Dept. of Corrections is the only LE agency that has ever officially used them, however, the Yugoslavian MGV-176 is virtually the same gun.

The drums come in four flavors - metal 165rd, lexan 177, lexan 220, lexan 275 and is driven by a flat coil spring in a winder that sits in the drum. Yes, before you shoot you have to wind up the gun like some sort of toy...

Jams happen and can often take several minutes to clear. When they run, they're great; when they don't they are the most frustrating thing ever.

I got the pleasure of shooting a Glock 19 that was converted to full auto it had this funny little thing on the back of the slide. you ever been to the car wash and the pressure hose pushes your hand back and up its kind of like that except allot faster and harder.

I am a FFL/SOT and got a Glock 18 which is a great shooter.
After a little training, it is actually not so bad to handle.
G18a1.jpg

Freetacos

Anyone have experience shooting a MAC-10, Glock 18, or any type of full auto subcompact? I know they are illegal for most purposes, but I would like to try one out just for kicks.

Who told you they were illegal? What 'purposes' are you referring to? If you aren't some hood, you can get one provided you have what it takes: time and $$$ lots and lots of $$$.

I've shot a Micro Uzi (mine), a G18, a G23 post-sample and a Stechkin. The Micro and Stechkin had stocks, the Glocks didn't. The Stechkin was the easiest to control, mainly because the ROF was lower. The Glocks were more difficult, but it was still relatively easy to pull 3-shot bursts.

Back