full auto in michigan

jdm92584

is there anyway that a non felony havin non misdameanor havin guy in michigan can legally own a full auto weapon or silencer with out being a dealer?

c&r full autos? such as? would a sten parts kit put together on one of those 80% finished receivers that i finish my self be a c & r? or would it equate to jail time? ive got varied results asking about these sten parts kits. heard its a real gray area.

No a Sten parts gun assembled on a finished 80% receiver would not be a C&R gun for two reasons:

1) It's not a curio or relic by definition (it needs to be all original), since you just manufactured a receiver for it.
2) Since you just manufactured a receiver, you can't register it as a NFA weapon. Only weapons manufactured before 1986 can be registered to individuals.

For a list of C&R full auto guns, go here ATFs C&R List

Go to page 49 "SEC. IV: National Firearms Act Weapons Classified As Curios Or Relics".

You can get a few AR-15s, original Stens, Thompsons.

But you have to remember, these guns are not only rare because they are transferrable full autos, but also because the are C&Rs. That means they tend to be expensive.

Good luck.

NN

<snip from subguns.com>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Michigan Attorney General Cox issued Opinion No. 7183, dated December 27, 2005, which supercedes former Michigan Attorney General Frank Kelly's Opinion No. 5210, dated August 10, 1977.

Boiled down, it means that Michigan residents are legally entitled to lawfully possess NFA firearms and devices, as long as they are legally registered with ATF and ATF approves the transfer application (i.e., that the Michigan resident has no convictions that would prohibit possessing a firearm, and gets his/her paperwork signed by a CLEO or done through a corporation). Anybody who wants it should be able to obtain a copy of the foregoing Opinion by contacting the Michigan Attorney General's office.

Opinion No. 7183 clarifies that an approved application to transfer an NFA firearm or device meets the requirement under Michigan law as a "license" required to lawfully possess a machine gun. If you get the Opinion, and read it, it will answer all of your legal questions. I understand some folks are in the process of sending the Opinion to ATF to get it implemented in the National Firearms Act Branch so applications by Michigan residents will be approved. This covers all NFA firearms and devices, in addition to those classified as curios or relics.

http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=511539

http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=511559

Our opinion is next on the list to be uploaded to the Attorney Generals website and it is not officially posted as yet. I was tying to keep this thing kinda under wraps until this happened but it looks like thats not going to happen!

Look to the AG's website in the coming days and in the locate opinion number box type in 7183 from that point you will be able to read, save as or print the opinion.

I am sure the AG's office is going to be getting hit by the media in coming days so I would just not even make any inquiries to the AG. Normally the AG will not respond with answers to questions from citizens. The AG is the Attorney for the Government of Michigan and even though we the people are the government, in reality it does not work that way.

I can only say sit tight, pay attention and things will develop on their own.

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/op_main.htm

</snip from subguns.com>

not posted yet:

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/op_findsngl.asp

DZ,

Despite being only 19 and therefor ineligable for NFA stuff, thats probably the best news Iv'e heard in 3 years. Hope it works out.

I beleive in michigan it was allowed 77' and older guns, this has been overturned to to allow 86' and older guns per recent ruling's. sorry for no links but you can look it up

Back