Fudd gun shop in the Dallas area

b79holmes

I have a wedding in June about 1 hour north of Dallas.
I'd like to browse walnut & blue steel where I can read the hang tags.

I do own synthetics but they aren't anything I'd browse for.

Any recommendations ?

Bill

While I don't have any experience in that locale, generally what I do is find the FFL listing for the area then look up each retail location on google.

Usually the "about this business" photos taken by customers are somewhat indicative of what you'll find. If you REALLY want fudd, check shops in restrictive states.

If they can't have modern due to silly ban lists, chances are you'll find a bunch of steel & walnut.

Just watch what you're buying, I was browsing the rack at one particularly skeevy pawn shop & after SKS number 9000 asked to see an AR that had a scope about the size of a 'Nam era starlight. It was just to comical not to handle it.

It wasn't listed as NFA but when I moved the selector, something was off. Full auto internals. Sure the extra hole should've tipped me off but this was about 20 years ago & I wasn't privy to subtle giveaways.

I asked the actual FFL holder about it, "Just a regular rifle."

If there weren't legal repercussions, I would have snapped that thing up.

There's a Beretta Gallery in Dallas. Worth the visit, but it's not large.

Ray's Hardware (now Rays Sporting Goods) used to have a lot of high-end guns on display. Haven't been in there in years, but if it's anything like it used to be, it would be fun to visit. Before you go, you should know that it is not in the best part of town.

I used to go to Harry Beckwith's Gun Shop in Micanopy Florida when old-man Beckwith was still alive. He was an ornery old cuss. Had one heck of a Luger collection, though. I was young and gun-stupid, so he didn't have much time for chatting with me.

Beckwith's is a cool place, but the new owners- while good - are not the same
I agree - not the same. But, heck, nothing is the same as Harry Beckwith! I recall he would open-carry an Ivory-handled 45, sometimes a revolver - -I was pretty young, I tried not to stare too much. The Luger collection was unbelievable - something like 200 Lugers on display. Harry tried to sell me a Llama 1911 - price was a bit high and he seemed pissed when I declined. I recall it was used, about 90% and he wanted $300 for it back in 1983.

Back then, a lot of his store was taken up with old tools - maybe taken in on pawn? Beckwith thought I was a young kid, tire-kicker. Didn't have much time for me. But, the truth was I was looking for a decent semi-auto pistol to shoot. I ended up buying a Taurus PT99 from some other gun shop. Truth-be-told, I would have been better off buying the Llama 45 - the PT99 crapped out on me w/in 6 months when the locking block shattered.

Back