FTF firearm purchases

revance

I know the legality of FTF purchases in my state, but my real question is about FTF etiquette.

I have never done a FTF transaction and was curious how people tend to arrange them. When purchasing something on craigslist etc. you typically meet in a public place for safety reasons. However it seems you can't exactly meet in the local McDs to purchase a firearm since you typically want to give it a good looking over first. I'm pretty sure doing that at McDs that would get you in a bit of trouble. Although both parties are most likely armed law abiding folks, there is always the possibility its someone who knows you will have either a lot of cash or a gun and they could easily get the jump on you. A gun store would be a great place for it, but seems that might be faux pas to be conducting your own business in someone else's shop.

How and where do you safely meet up?

My 2nd question is regarding paperwork. Although it isn't required in my state, do most people make up receipts for both parties with info/signatures in case you ever have to prove/disprove ownership? I like the idea of having a proof of sales/purchase but don't like the idea of giving my personal info to a stranger that now knows I have guns.

If some people who have done FTF transactions with strangers could chime in and explain how they did it, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I can only relate how I completed a recent Face to Face (FTF) transaction for a local sale from a gun broker type of website.

The Seller and I talked on the phone three times after receiving the other person's contact information from the gun website. We agreed to meet in the parking lot of a local shopping mall in the afternoon. I had his cell phone and vehicle description and he had mine. We met, exchanged conversation for a few minutes and I examined the gun. I stood in the parking lot but looked at gun on the front seat of his truck. We completed the sale and left on a friendly note.

It was sort of like a blind date in that you have to have a good feeling for the person before you agree to meet for a date. Same personal screening.

I can only relate how I completed a recent Face to Face (FTF) transaction for a local sale from a gun broker type of website.

The Seller and I talked on the phone three times after receiving the other person's contact information from the gun website. We agreed to meet in the parking lot of a local shopping mall in the afternoon. I had his cell phone and vehicle description and he had mine. We met, exchanged conversation for a few minutes and I examined the gun. I stood in the parking lot but looked at gun on the front seat of his truck. We completed the sale and left of a friendly note.

It was sort of like a blind date in that you have to have a good feeling for the person before you agree to meet for a date. Same personal screening techniques.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more it seems worth it to pay the $25 for the local shop to do a transfer.

For a location, I like meeting at a gun range. In addition to knowing everyone is armed, there are other folks around to prevent foolishness and you can even test fire the gun you are buying.

my 870 purchase was done in a face to face sale. it was found listed in the shotgun news paper. he was in my town. met at my residence with it i gave it a good look over, filled out the paperwork which was next to nothing . signed a receipt whcihe we each got a copy of as proof of sale/purchase . i showed my id card and d/l and i was shown his id and d/l. paid him. we talked for a few minutes and he left. took maybe 20 mins. 2 days later i went to the range and put 20 round through it. my father has bought most of what he has new and used form a few different shops here. he did buy some shotguns on a face to face sale 1 from a fellow range member and a few one of his brother in laws.

one question i have to add to this is.

if you live in a state that you need to get a pistol purchasing permit to buy a pistol. do you need to get that when you want to do a face to face sale? nj you must get a purchasing permit, thats good for 30 or 60 days i think. before you buy a pistol in a shop you need to get the permit.

I just pick a strip mall after hours at a well lit intersection:o
I have also both bought and sold arms at yard sales... Never hurts to ask... I had mine on the table out front.
Brent

A well-lit public place with lots of security cameras is my preference. I've only ever sold a few guns, but it has worked for me so far. There is a supermarket parking lot not far from my house that has cameras everywhere and they have little strobe-lights on them so they are impossible to miss. It's also very close to a restaurant that is always packed with cops.

And if they don't look right, I'm out of there, even if it's a friend of a friend. I could care less if they are offended by my superficial judgements. Trust your gut.

Back