Frontstrap checkering-where to get best deal

Jhp147

I want to get the frontstrap of my aluminum-framed Kimber Royal Carry checkered. I balk at the 200 bucks Kimber wants to checker and refinish. Short of one of those little metal plates glued to the frontstrap, does anyone have suggestions on a cheaper place (even machine cut is okay) or do I get what I pay for here?

Checkering is not inexpensive.
If you want a less expensive way use grip tape (skateboard tape) instead. It acutally gives a firmer grip but does need to be changed every so often.

Cheap way:
Loosen the grip screws and place the proper sized piece of fine grit crocus cloth over the front strap. Tighten screws.

Not cheap way" Find a decent smith and pay plenty.

Results, identical as to function, esthetics are another matter...

You can get the frontstrap checkered for less than $200, but not a lot less.

Brian Bilby - www.1911custom.com - 20 lpi for $120, 30 lpi for $150 (add 15% for stainless - don't know for alum)

Accurate Plating and Weaponry - www.apwcogan.com - 20 lpi for $157

Cylinder & Slide - www.cylinder-slide.com - 20 lpi for $145.75

If you like a functional surface, nearly all the suggestions will work. If you want it to look good too, spend the bucks to get it checkered or save some money and get it stippled (still looks pretty darn good!). You'll be glad you did...

Mikey

Thank you, now I must come to the defense of Kimber's custom shop. By the time I figure in refinishing from any of the other's shops, it would outcost Kimber. Everybody is withing a few bucks of 200, not enough difference to matter. Enjoyed the other web sites, Mikey, they gave me what I needed to make a comparison.Most appreciative!

Back