Frontier Rifle Kit .50 cal Flintlock

Hey guys,

I'm new to black-powder hunting, and I'm wanting to try out assembling a kit. I've been looking around and found the Traditions Frontier Rifle Kit .50 cal Flintlock, and I wondered if any of you have had experience with this one? Is it a good, or bad kit? If it's not so great, then do you have any other suggestions in this price range? I'd prefer a flintlock.

Thanks for any answers,
Rylan

I've no experience with the Traditions Frontier. However, I did build their Trapper Pistol. If the quality of materials is the same, I'd avoid it and go with a Lyman Great Plains Rifle kit instead.

Go for it! They call it a kit for a reason as its what they start off as before they assemble them.

I dont think they make the frontier anymore, thats most likely an older kit gun/ Should be fun.

Not directly. Take your time though and be sure to thoroughly read the instructions and examine all the parts before you do anything else.

My daughters really enjoy shooting their CVA Frontier rifle and it's quite accurate too. The CVA model is essentially the same as the Traditions.

The percussions work good, but I've seen a lot of problems with their flinters. I would guess improperly hardened frizzens. it's hard to find a kit with a properly hardened frizzen with the proper geometry to work right. The Lyman would probably be your best bet out there in kit form at this point.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the feedback! So it looks like I've got more people recommending the Lyman. I found it at Buffalo Arms for a cheaper price than at Track of the Wolf, but I wasn't sure if Buffalo Arms is a reputable source. Should I get it from them at a cheaper price, or should I go with Track of the Wolf?

Thanks

A labor of love and worth your time.

I wasn't sure if Buffalo Arms is a reputable source.
Although I personally have not dealt with Buffalo Arms, I see no reason why they would be less reputable than anyone else. I'm a conservative and I guess that make me cheap. Heck, It's a Lyman and a darn good choice. .... ;)
Take your time though and be sure to thoroughly read the instructions and examine all the parts before you do anything else.
Great advice and this is where a lot of folks go wrong. There are kits that are finished and there are great finished kits. Doesn't take a trained eye, to spot the lesser. I have gone back and refinished a few kit-guns... ;)

Whenever I assemble a kit, I first try to put it together to a functional condition. Then I take notes on where the problems are and what needs finishing. Also, at this time, you can define any embellishments you might like. I then take it all apart and "finish" it. As you progress in this project, check in with the forum with any questions or problems. ..... :)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Track, Mid South and Buffalo Arms I wouldn't have any problem recommending. Order from them all and no problems ever. Same goes for Dixie, Possible Shop and Jedediah Starr Trading.

Back