Front Site Adjustment

Colduglandon

I am sighting in a CVA sidelock.

It is hitting about a foot below the point of aim at 50 yards.

How much of the front site would I expect to file off to adjust for this.

The barrel is 1 in 48. I am shooting a .490 speer ball over 777.

I am getting a decent group at 60 grains by volume. It is taking a while to get use to BP. There seems to be a delay between pulling the trigger, cap firing, and detonation. It is all new to me.

I have fired up to 75 grains of powder with no appreciable increase in accuracy. I am reluctant to go too high because they recommend a powder charge that is 10% ot 15% less than BP.

Most front stuffers with fixed sights do come out of the box shooting low , it`s a good thing though ..this way it`s just a matter of fileing down the front to bring it up ...if your rifle is shooting a foot low consistently ..which is pretty much normal , it`s going to take quite a bit of fileing down the front sight ..about an 1/8 of an inch or so , take it slow , file a little and test fire it , be sure to swab the bore between your fileing . after sighting in with the round balls , if you ever decide to shoot the heavy chronicale bullets they will shoot low by an inch or more ..it makes it difficult for fixed sight guns to shoot both .

+1 for sundance, only thing I might mention, is to be sure you put a LOT of thought into what you are going to be hunting, as well as what you want to shoot for a load. Once you file your sights down, and get it zeroed, it will be very difficult to change your bullet, load, primer, in any way.:)

I have, in the past, obtained longer screws for the rear sight and shimmed the rear up. Of course, if your rear sight is dovetailed in, that won't work.

Pops

It’s a ratio.

Divide the range by the distance between front and rear sights
50 yards = 1800 inches
We’ll assume distance between front and rear sight on the gun is 24 inches (substitute your actual)
1800/24 = 75: this is the ratio
Divide the distance low on target by the ratio
12/75 = .16: this is how much to file off the front sight

That said; go slow!:)

Thanks for the help.
I will play with the formula, and see how I come out.
Guess the operative term is GO SLOW.

I intend to use the rifle for deer hunting next season.
The rear sight is dove tailed and not adjustable.

Last edited:
Back