Front sight

Boz Mon

I have been having trouble finding my front sight at the range on my S&W 617. This is my first gun and I've only shot about 600 rounds through the gun. The guy at the gun shop told me that Smith offers a different front sight. Maybe its red? I dont know much, if any about modding guns so I was hoping for some guidance in the subject. Are there aftermarket options? Should I just call Smith and get their sight?

A Fiber Optic front sight is much easier and quicker to pick up, but the Patridge sight that's on the gun is usually considered the better sight for pure accuracy. There are numerous FO options. HiViz, SDM, and even S&W come to mind. It's a pinned-in front sight, so unless you know what you're doing, it'll take a gunsmith to do the swap.

The Mac Daddy set up is installation of a Weigand interchangeable sight base, and an interchangeable front sight, which allows one to swap out the sight in seconds, in the event the FO breaks, or you want a different color (or even a gold bead or Patridge sight) on any particular day. Installation of the base is definitely a gunsmith-only deal.

FWIW, for my IDPA/USPSA revolvers, I install FO front sights. On my 617, I left the factory Patridge, and simply cut a piece of red electrical tape to precisely fit the back of the front sight sight. Others paint it with shiny nail polish in a color that they can easily see.

Cheap fix

I would try some brightly colored model paint (day-glo orange is what ive used) on the face of the front sight as a temp, lets see if i like it, kind of thing

The factory sights you have are great under good lighting. On an indoor range with less then perfect light, the black on black sights against a black target get hard to see

Way back when, i was issued a S&W mdl 64 as a duty gun ( yeah, im that old). The small ramp front and the tiny rear sight were VERY hard to use at speed. I bought some toy model paint in orange and kept it in my locker. It doesnt last long and comes off when the gun is cleaned. Re-apply as needed.

It did make those sights easier to see

You can get the little hi-vis paint kits at gun stores. It has orange, green, yellow & white. With a little bottle of pre cleaner

Last edited:
It sounds like you're shooting at an indoor range and the lighting is your problem. You can install a rear blade with a wider slot to make it easier to find the front blade. You will shoot more accurately with the patridge front blade than a fiber optic bead. Even outside you can use a wider rear blade and it may help your problem without killing the accuracy.

Thanks for all the great info! I am indeed shooting at an indoor range, and I will be until the weather warms up. Maybe I'll just stick it out and not do anything until I try shooting outside in the spring.

Having to fish around for the front sight might be due to technique.
It's a difficult subject to discuss and explain, but good stance, presentation and grip will automatically put the sights right on the target, without the need to even look for them.
Even indoors, with bad lighting, they will naturally fall on the target and be easy to pick up, whatever kind they are.
Some are easier to see than others, but they will be there.
Just a thought.

If your target is black, change to light colored/white paper with a 1"-2" black dot in the middle.
Avoid black sights on black target.
==========
Otherwise, replace front with SDM FO sights --- something with a squared shaped.
My 686 came with V notch rear and HI VIZ round FO -- difficult for me to align the sights. Now, it has black post front and square notch rear.

Back