Front sight keeps getting loose after using JB Weld

fotojake

I installed TSR 100 sights onto my 10/22 TD. When it came time to remove the original factory front sight it was so easy I could have just pushed it out with my finger. Made installing the TSR 100 front sight a lot easier.

Almost too easy. It slid right into that dove tail.

I mixed up some JB Weld and applied it to the base of the sight, let it set for 24 hours and then installed the rest of the parts for the site. Nice and secure. Until... At an Appleseed event this past weekend the front sight, near the end of day 2, had come loose; it was only kept in place by the side screws and front screw that had all been set with blue Loctite. Between the heat of the barrel and the recoil vibrations I guess it was only a matter of time before the sight came lose. I thought JB Weld was the cat's meow? Is there something besides JB Weld that will keep the front sight in place? I don't want to switch to a scope, wanna keep it "pure."

In the end, I did get my Rifleman's patch by the skin of my teeth, wiggly front sight and all. Appleseed is a great event. Bring Ibuprofen and an energy gel.

Thanks.

Heat from shooting will loosen epoxy and Lock-Tite. You need a shim.
You can buy brass shim stock in Home Depot(I think in assorted thicknesses) for reasonable money. Cuts with tin snips(aka Aviation Snips), you can also buy in Home Depot. Make sure they're straight cut snips. They're not exactly cheap at about $12 each though. However, they will cut lots of other stuff. Leather, for example.
The TSR 100 sights not come to fit a 10/22's dovetail?

The TSR 100 sights do come ready to fit the 10/22 front sight dove tail. I think it's a Ruger thing this time around. The original front sight would wiggle lose after shooting sessions. I'd have to push it back into place. Then it popped out easily without much effort on my part when I was ready to install the TSR 100 sights. I'll give the shims idea a shot. Thanks.

Depending on how much play you need to eliminate you can also stake the bed of the dovetail. Strike it, probably three times across the bed, with a center punch. Unless very sloppy that will usually raise the mettle enough to give a good friction fit.

If JB loosened, you didn't have the parts clean/degreased well enough.
I have a scope base attached to an 03A3 with JB Weld that's been solid since 1976.

If JB loosened, you didn't have the parts clean/degreased well enough.
Absolutely.
Any expoxy. adhesive or finish will benefit from really clean surfaces.
More important than the adhesive used.
Soldering, brazing and welding will too, come to think.

"...in Canadian dollars..." Nope. Been translating American to English and the reverse for eons. Snicker. No point giving prices in Canadian on a U.S. based forum either.
JB Weld is just epoxy with steel dust in it vs the fibreglass dust in Acraglas.
"...punch peen the bottom..." AKA: staking. Works too. M1 Carbine sights are staked in place. Literally bashing a small spot on the dove tail with a pointy punch.

I thought JB Weld was the cat's meow?
I never had any better results with JB than any other expoxy.
Maybe there's a hidden secret to using it or something.
As previously stated, must degrease, especially is not working on porous automotive castings. Also, my experience tells me the mix ratio is more important than most realize.

Peening does seem to be the best if you feel comfortable with it.

I prefer to tighten the dovetail by closing the opening. By gently tapping with a brass drift and small ball peen at the top of the dovetail you can close or tighten as much or little as you need and where you need it.

I have to agree with Tango....tighten up the dovetail slightly. I have installed many..many...sights on muzzleloaders over the years and quite a few on modern firearms, and this has always worked best for me. You just gently tap down on the edges of the dovetail until you get a tight fit. I've seen a lot of guys punch up the bottom of the dovetail and while it will help, it is pretty much pushed back where it was when you drift the sight into place. You can tighten up the dovetail in about 5 minutes and have a tight installation in about 5 minutes.

Dawson recommended green loctite for a loose front sight. A gunsmith tried staking, but no go. >30K rounds later the green loctite is good to go.

Back