Front sight in scope

bulls n bucks

So I just replaced my Weaver 2.5 power with a new Leupold vx 2 1-4x20 the rifle is a Remington 760 the mounts are Weaver high mounts the problem I'm having is the front sight and barrel are in view quite a bit. I could see a little of the front sight with the Weaver but now it is a lot and it is quite distracting is there anything I can do other than putting extra high mounts on it?

You can raise the scope but the best thing to do is just stop looking at the barrel and concentrate only on the target.

You can't overcome the laws of physics and optical devices, so it's best to adapt to them instead

I'd remove the front sight, and if screwed-in, the ramp as well. Having a scope is a game-changer and big improvement over irons.

The low power of the scope makes it a great woods rifle, but being used to scopes, I prefer a 3-9x scope, especially if I need to see antlers to shoot a deer in the woods. None of my hunting rifles have iron sights. Being in my 70's, if the weather is too bad to use a scope, it's too bad for me to be out there.

JP

Tap out the sight and white nail polish a line on the ramp. Also 760 sight ramps are screwed in, right? Personally, I'd removed it as well.

I'd toss the irons in the trash and go with low mounts on that scope. The scope you have is faster to use on 1X than irons and on 4X has enough magnification to shoot out to at least 400 yards. I've had more iron sights fail than scopes so that isn't an issue.

Or just leave it, you'll eventually never notice. I have the same scope on two AR rifles and the sights on those are a lot bigger, I don't find it a problem at all. But I'm seriously considering using a saw to cut them off since they never get used.

" I could see a little of the front sight with the Weaver but now it is a lot and it is quite distracting is there anything I can do other than putting extra high mounts on it?"

You'll get used to seeing the muzzle/sights in the scope after using it a while. DO NOT cause yourself extra grief by using higher mounts( I question your use of "high" rings already). Mount the scope as low as possible and learn to look "past" the stuff in the bottom of the scope image.

mounts

Yeah, the "high" mounts caught my attention as well. They are "not that high" but certainly higher than a "low" set. I suspect the high mounts were used to clean up the sight picture with the original 2.5x.

I had a Weaver 2.5 X on my Model 70 375 H&H. You could see the front sight through the scope but after using it, I never noticed the front sight while shooting the rifle while concentrating on the cross hairs.

Back