Front latch, advantage or not?

Phideaux

Looking for ideas from the group on this. I Just got a Taurus 608,
(.357, 4" bbl) 250 rounds through it so far and liking it a lot!

However, while the gun is built on a large Smith type "N" frame made to handle 44 mag, I notice Taurus only starts putting front frame lock-up latches (aka detents) on the 454 Casull line.
They also seem to be using them in the Tracker Titanium line too.

I've read all the ad hype about holding the crane and cylinder more ridgid at two points during actual firing, but I'm wondering if there's any real practical advantage to getting this mod done? As hefty as this frame is, there's not much movement at the front; of course I'm not seeing what's going on during "blast-off" either.

My Ruger SP-101 in .38 Spl has a double latch mechanisim, and I suspect being built on a much lighter frame, it probably benifits from this.

Is it worth getting a front latch put on? Thoughts, Ideas, suggestions anyone.

Thanks,
John

Both Dan Wesson and Ruger say the front latch is an accuracy-enhancing feature. Maintains alignment of the cylinder to barrel.

Seems this may be accurizing mod?

How is the accuracy in your 608? I took some snap caps to a gunshop and dry fired one of these next to a S&W 686. Huge difference! The 608 had the smothest factory action I have ever seen!

Songdog: Thanks for the reply. In answer to the 608's accuracy question, right now @ 25 Yds, I'm still learning its handling charactaristics, so it's probabably more accurate than I am.

After 250 rounds at the range, I was still tweaking the micrometer sights, dialing it in and getting used to its handling....So not super concerned with accuracy on the first trip out. And boy does it handle good! Everything I'd hoped for and then some.

Yes, to echo your comment, the action is very smooth. I"m still astounded as to the lack of recoil and muzzle flip with full-house .357 rounds; even in "strong hand" and "weak hand" practice.

I'm guessing after another few boxes of shells I'll be satisfied with the sight zeroing process.

John

The Python had no front latch, and was DAMNED accurate. Not very tough though.

The first question about this 608 is, "is it accurate"?

I'd also be interested in knowing if the end of the ejector rod is latched in somehow, a technique S&W uses a lot on most of the K-Frames, many others. Can't remember if the N-Frames do that, but I think they do. That's sort of a substitute for a crane lock, although not quite as good.

Back