Frommer and modern ammo

BoogieMan

I have been trying (so far no success) to get a Frommer Stop. It came to mind that ammo may be an issue. Anyone know if modern 32auto ball will function safely in this pistol?

A quick google around reveals that .32 Frommer was loaded hotter than standard .32 ACP/7.65 Browning to cycle the long recoil action. Standard .32s will apparently work well enough for casual shooting but not to go to war with.
If you get one, seek out European .32 which is loaded heavier than US. I use Fiocchi in my ordinary .32s.

To double up on Jim's post, check the Fiocchi and verify it's of Italian manufacture, not U.S.
I've found there to be a difference in the "heat" of the loads.

FWIW, I have fired both the .32 and .380 Stop and the .380 Baby with American ammo and they worked. That is not to say any particular gun will do so, but mine did.

In all honesty, though, those guns are old, not that sturdy, and parts are non-existent, so I suggest not firing them. They are a fairly valuable collectors' item today, and if anything breaks, that value will be affected.

Jim

JamesK- I have had more luck finding parts for the guns than actual guns in fair condition. I could never own a gun that I wouldnt fire at least on occasion.

A little update. I found a couple at a fair (not great) price on auction. I am new owner of a Frommer Stop for $360 OTD:D. More than I wanted to pay but it appears to be in 85% or better condition. A nice shooter grade IMO. I should have a range report in about 60 days (NJ permit thing).

Back