From (the) Colt's Mouth....

45King

The following was posted by Dean Speir on the Prodigy Internet Sports Rec. Shooting Sports BB. I have "known" Dean via the 'net for 6 years, and he has yet to post anything of this nature that was not 100% accurate.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>October 5th, 1999
Dear Colt Distributor,

Rumors abound in this industry, particularly with regard to our plans concerning product supply. This letter will confirm those plans. Please excuse the impersonal salutation, but we have concentrated on getting this information to you as quickly as possible.

In developing our 2000 business plans and identifying strategic needs beyond 2000, we have had to face the harsh reality of the significant impact which our litigation defense costs are having on our ability to operate competitively in the marketplace.

Accordingly, we have made the decision to consolidate our product lines as follows:

A. Effective immediately, Colt's Manufacturing Co., Inc. will accept no new orders for the following products:

1. Magnum Carry
2. DS II 38 Special
3. Python Elite - I's
4. Anaconda - MM's
5. 380s
6. Pocket Nine
7. 1991 Family

Please note: All standard model variations within the above products are also discontinued, effective immediately.

While these products are being discontinued, we will be reviewing orders in house and will advise each distributor as soon as possible if any of those orders for these products will be affected.

B. Colt's very pleased to advise you that we will continue to manufacture and actively promote the sale of a variety of important handguns which best support and represent the unique value of the Colt Brand. These include:

1. Single Action Army
2. Cowboys
3. Model O's (New XS, Defender, Custom)

Due to the continued escalation of our litigation costs, coupled with our strong desire to maintain a meaningful presence in the handgun segment of the business, the prices of these products will be increased by 6%, effective immediately. All orders currently on hand at Colt's will be honored at the current existing prices.

Our marketing objective is to streamline our handgun line into a smaller, but higher value collection of real Colt 'Classics', which best represent our brand, with much more emphasis on providing custom features and custom appearance for serious gun enthusiasts and shooters and collectors, and those interested in owning a real Colt product of some special value.

Meanwhile we will continue to provide Match Target rifles and are in the final stages of implementing the launch of our new Colt Light Rifle.

We are committed to taking a 'Classic' rather than the 'me too' approach to the future development of our product lines and plan to focus more on what we have been best known for and best for the past 164 years!

We appreciate your patience, understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions, please direct them to your regional Colt Sales Manager, Dave Ridley, or Dave Horn.

Sincerely,
<signature>
Thomas H. Kilby
Vice President
Marketing & Sales
Colt's Manufacturing Co., Inc.[/quote]

Pardon me while I choke, gag, and puke. Colt has become one of the anti's.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

[This message has been edited by 45King (edited October 10, 1999).]

I just returned from the local gun show after purchasing a Colt Magnum Carry.
Shortly after my purchase I saw the memo put out by Colt Firearms. To say I was disturbed is an understatement. For Colt to capitulate to this litugation is a bad sign for the gun industry as a whole. This is exactly what the anti-gunners are hoping for.
If Colt wanted to stop the manufacture of certain guns, fine. But say it was to cut costs, or because of stiff competition. Not because of litigation. That just encourages the anti's more and we'll be seeing more and more of these frivolous lawsuits.
I'm disappointed in Colt for helping to fuel the arguments of the "other" side.

------------------
Knee deep in brass, still shootin fast!

I had a 1991 and Pocket Nine laid back a couple of days ago, kind of an investment. Today I told the dealer to go ahead and sell them. Colt can kiss...

As much as we take this personal, (and I do, I was one of those who wrote a letter to Colt when they had that ding-al-ling as president for awhile!)they are still a business.
I was at a gun show this weekend and people were happy and hot for S&Ws/Walther gun and Glocks and Sigs and H&Ks.
The Colts just kinda sat there.
I think they just weren't selling, so Colt is just trying to stay afloat by changing tactics.
Will this work?
How many smart guns will they sell?
The problem with Colt is that they just got old and didn't adjust.

nebob, How many smart guns will they sell? Almost none if things remain the same. Colt has to know this simple economic reality. That is why I distrust them now. They need regulation to survive now, so they must become part of it. They do not care if we as consumers will CHOOSE their technology. They want it shoved down our throats. Honestly, as gun consumers ask yourself, would you buy stock in Colt now if you knew no new gun regulations will ever be passed in the future? Colt is banking on being the firearms counterpart of Archer Daniels Midland, a corp. which thrives on regulation and billions in ethonal subsidies. Did you CHOOSE to put ethanol in your tank? Can anyone you trust offer scientific evidence this boondoggle has achieved anything valuable? Of the potential smart guns sold, how many will be "re-educated"? I have heard many arguments that Colt is making a business decision only. They are only publicly announcing their intention to hop into bed with big government and rob us blind. With all due respect to Samuel, his bastard offspring is our enemy.

If Colt is caving in like they are... I say Good Riddance. Dont let the door hit them on the way out.

We need our Gun Companies to be strong - Stand up - take it on the chin - and throw a punch back.

Colt has sold out to Cooper's "Age of the Whimp"...
We don't need them.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

45King,

Are you having trouble calibrating your screen again? :)

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/index.htm
Contributor
Occupation
Date
Amount
Recipient

ZILKHA, DONALD E
NEW YORK, NY 10153
ZILKHA & COMPANY
12/05/1997
$1,000
Schumer, Charles E