From a 2" tube...

I would take the 357 over the 38 any day. I am not sure if the 44 Special would have any real advantage over the 357 from such a short barrel. Capacity really is not an issue for the average civilian, you are not likely to need more than three shots. So it boils down to a .357 inch diameter bullet at high velocity or a .429 inch bullet at low velocity. Why not try a five shot 357 with a two inch barrel? That is what I have and I don't feel inferior.

Given those choices, I would opt for the .357. But with a small gun, a lot of practice is needed to hit anything over card table range, especially with a powerful round. There is a vicious cycle involved - firing the gun hurts, so practice is reduced, so the few shots fired hurt more, so practice is reduced further, etc.

I would go with a concealed hammer .357 and practice until I could keep all shots with the carry ammo in 6" or less at 7 yards. That doesn't necessarily mean all practice should be with the carry ammo, only that you must have enough experience with it to be competent.

Jim

I would go with the 7 shot .357 mag. More options with it (.357, .38 +P+, +P, stan vel) so depending on how much you were able to practice with it I would make the choice to shoot out of it.

The .44 spl 5 shot is only attractive to me if you live somewhere that hollow points or not legal, or if you might be worried about bigger 4 legged animals and might want to shoot hot non-expanding bullets out of it. It is a good caliber, but i would rather have the 2 extra shots just in case, plus the option of using bianchi speed strips to carry my reloads instead of having to use speedloaders or carry loose rounds.

Given your chioces: 7 357 HANDS DOWN.

1. The 357 will hit just as hard, most likely a little harder than 44 spec.(assuming FACTORY loads, not homegrown). If you do a search some people have posted snubbie velocities on this forum.
If I remember correctly they were still getting 1100+ out of them, 38 spec are usually under 1000fps

2. 2 additional rounds.

3. If you have to, 357 will shoot 38 spec. 44 spec will not shoot 44 mag.

4. As a general rule(where I live) 357/38 is MUCH more common on store shelves than 44 spec.

Back