Fridge test for Leupold scope?

JJ45

Hello, I recently acquired a Leupold M8 4X. Probably made in the 70s or 80s, not sure.

It is in excellent shape and there is no sign of ring marks. The lenses have no scratches,etc.

I am going to mount it on a vintage deer rifle but don't know if the gas or seals are still functional. In Pa we get all kinds of weather extremes and I would like to test it first to see if it will fog inside before mounting it. If it does fog inside, I'll ask Leupold to fix it.

Has anyone done the freezer test? If so I would really appreciate how to go about the correct procedure...Thanks, JJ

There are all kinds of ways you can do it. Easiest is to leave the scope in the freezer a few hours and then take it immediately to a hot humid room, ie. in the steamy room where someone is taking a shower. Leave it in the room for 15 or 20 minutes. Return it to room temperature and see if it has internally fogged. If not, put it in the freezer again, get it out in a couple hours and look for any internal ice crystals, they will look like debris.

I like the way you think !!1

JJ,
I have not and like most folks, find the problem, the hard way. I think you have a good idea and much room for thought. Keep in mind that you are looking for the dew-point so you might want to go slow and easy. In the past, I have refilled them and as long as you have Leupold supporting you up, I'd say got for it. ...... ;)

Keep us posted and;
Be Safe !!!

Back