Fresh Leather!

Model12Win

Hey everyone! :)

I got a package in the mail earlier today. It's my new Simply Rugger Silver Dollar Pancake holster from maker Rob Leahy out of Prescott, Arizona! I also got one of his excellent "Most Versatile" ammo pouches. Below are my initial impressions with a couple of pictures for dramatic effect. :cool: I am not new to Simply Rugged products, this is my second holster from them. Thanks for looking!

I got this Silver Dollar Pancake for my new Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special. This is a great gun, with plenty of punch. It fills a place in my arsenal as being a cold weather CCW piece as well as auxiliary home defense handgun, but I think it will get the most use (in the coming summer anyway) as a trail and camp gun. The Bulldog weighs only 19.5 ounces unloaded, but packs five shots of convincing .44 special firepower that will be able to handle anything I come across in the woods of Eastern Kansas, be it four legged or two legged threats... and even no legged threats; CCI makes a great shotshell round in .44 special/magnum that has a higher payload than the .38/.357 shells... should be excellent snake medicine!

Upon ordering this holster, I specified it be made with the natural tan un-dyed leather Rob offers. I really like the looks of this, and prefer natural leather for most uses. One thing to note, this stuff smells amazing! I noticed that about my other Simply Rugged holster, truly a wonderful smell. I also asked for a leather hammer strap on the gun. The holster probably doesn't need it, but it's just a little extra security for when I'm walking in the thick brush and crossing creeks and whatnot. You will see in the photos below that the hammer strap has a long "tail" that hangs below the snap. This is purposeful- it is designed for a fast draw. On the draw, you whip your hand up in a karate-chop motion and the extension lets you catch the strap, breaking the snap and freeing the gun in one fluid motion. It works very well, and I'm glad I paid the $15 for it even if I'll probably never need it.

As I mentioned, I decided to also order a "most versatile" ammo pouch from Mr. Leahy. VERY nice little accessory. It's designed for double action revolvers and is made to hold a single speed strip. It fits a six-round .44/.45 speed strip or an eight-round .38/.357 strip, among others. The pouch cuffs around the belt, so is an easy on and off and is secured by the snap in front. I found it very easy to retrieve the speed strip from the pouch, and the entire thing is much more compact and convenient vs. a speedloader and associated bulky pouch, and the reload isn't much slower if you practice. Highly recommended!

Okay, so here are the pictures:

SRcharter1.jpg

Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake & Most Versatile Pouch on a Beltman 1.5" Bullhide belt

SRcharter2.jpg

Charter Arms Bulldog w/ holster & pouch, ammo shown is Corbon 200 grain DPX .44 specials

I have to say one thing, even though I've had this rig for only a little over an hour, I REALLY LIKE IT!!! Being so new, it's quite tight. I'll be breaking it in tonight with plenty of drawing. The leather on the holster is super thick and strong, 8-9 oz steer shoulder. Should hold up to many years of use quite well to say the least. Once broken in, retention should be ideal. Being a pancake style holster, it keeps the gun tight at your side and up out of the way. This reduces fatigue and makes the firearm feel like an extension of the body, not a bulky inconvenience. These type holsters truly make carrying these guns a joy.

Rob Leahy makes quality gun leather, and it's all in the name- these are rock solid, no frills holsters made for rugged use and wear. They aren't fancy, but aren't meant to be. If you are in the market for this style of holster, you will not be disappointed if you choose Simply Rugged. This isn't my first holster from this company, and it certainly won't be the last!

Thanks for your time and have a great day! :D

Ha ha! What does it mean if your CCW doesn't print but you just *smell* like you're packing. Is that still concealed? :D

I wish!

Well guys, this holster is darn tight. I'm going to wrap a Zip-Lok bag around my Bulldoggle and stuff him in his new dog house to sleep overnight. Hopefully the holster loosens up a bit. Man I love this thing!

You might try giving the inside of the holster a light spray with water to soften it, and then put your gun in with plastic wrap around it to shape the holster to fit better while it's loose, and then after an hour take the gun out to dry to shape.

That's how I shape the holsters I make.

If the outside of the holster is raw leather without any oil protection, then you can also use a damp face cloth and stuff it inside to moisten the inside of the holster to loosen it. You don't want it sopping wet, just damp enough to softer it so that it will have more give.

Water can create marks on the raw leather, but depending on the mineral content of the water disappear after drying to show some stain.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Yes indeed, this holster is too tight. Even after leaving it with a Zip Lok bag around the gun overnight, it's still literally impossible to draw. I'm going to moisten up the leather and do what you said.

As HighValleyRanch says . . . wet form it. I do the same thing with the holsters I make regardless of if it's a revolver or semi. I spray the gun down with light oil, slip it in a plastic bag then insert and "bone" the holster - i.e. I use various shaped wood dowels or even my fingers to form the holster around the shape of the pistol. I normally immerse the entire holster in warm water for about 30 seconds or until it's nice and pliable. Then wipe down with cloth, insert pistol and wet form it. I leave the pistol in overnight. Then remove and let air dry. It will usually make the holster "stiff" but also dry out the leather some. Once completely dry, I put some natural oils back into the leather - you can use mink oil, Fiebrings, etc. Normally, I use a high quality virgin olive oil. Don't overdo it if you want the holster "stiff" but leather, being a natural product, will dry out over time anyway and needs to have the natural oils replenished once in a while.

On CCW holsters, I like them stiffer as the pistol draws easier and I find it easier to "reholster" the pistol in the holster bucket without having to look. Re-holstering a weapon should be just as "instinctive" as drawing a weapon from a holster.

All, I used the plastic bag trick and the holster fits nicely now!!

Yes, I use my strong hand to reload my revolvers. I switch the emptied revolver over to the left hand so I can use my right hand with all it's dexterity to reload.

Excellent!!!

My Sourdough Pancake showed up for my Smith Model 69 last week.

I love this thing. The only issue, which to me is minor, is that the color has rubbed off on my pants. I could care less as this is my yard gun and then maybe wear it when I can have appropriate cover..IE fall/winter

"Being a pancake style holster, it keeps the gun tight at your side and up out of the way. This reduces fatigue and makes the firearm feel like an extension of the body, not a bulky inconvenience. These type holsters truly make carrying these guns a joy. "

I thoroughly agree with your statement there. My first afternoon was with a junk belt that I wear with my "at home work pants." That did well which surprised me. I switched out to a wilderness tactical which was great but creaky. Well the holster is now broke in and no more noticeable creak.

I think you will be thoroughly happy with your holster.

Back