Fresh From The Pawn Shop

mk70ss

Brought this one home today. An Astra 960 .38 Special. It is the same size as a S&W N frame. It has a pinned barrel and recessed chambers. Great trigger and just some good old fashioned honest holster wear. Not a bad gun for $355.00

Thats what I enjoy about pawnshops, you never know what you may find. Looks like a really nice solid addition.

thought

I thought it WAS an N-frame till I read the medallion on the grip.

I've been searching for an N-frame T-grip for some time.

Does it have the adjustable trigger mechanism inside the grip frame ? Nice pick-up. I would have been on it like ducks on a June bug. Spanish firearms gained a bad reputation from cottage industry semi-autos supplied to the French during WWI.

Congrats! That's beautiful. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on one of those 960s when they were coming into the country as surplus. A lot of Astras have an adjustment ring under the grips where you can adjust the trigger weight. Interesting design.

Absolutely no clue if this is true, and not suggesting you try it, but when studying the 960, I remember reading that the 960 was designed as a .357. It was sold in .38 configuration because some police departments didn't want to use .357s. However, the basic gun in many (if not all) cases is still the .357, and just is stamped .38 spl. Supposedly, .357s fit in the cylinder no problem because the only difference was the caliber stamping. Hopefully, someone who knows more than I will chime in.

As far as Astras, I own a .44 Terminator in almost mint condition. Have the box and everything.

Last edited:
A side note - I stopped by my local pawnshop, and saw the gun section was down by about 3/4. Turned out ATFE had decided to go after them for every wrong comma on their 4473s and the owner is getting rid of guns/ammo, to avoid any future hassles. No, no screaming deals - the staff will get those. Seriously blows as this place was my go-to to receive firearms with a transfer fee of only $10.

I hated Tyler T-grips when I was young. Get a bigger grip I thought. Now I think they're the cat's meow. Clever way to keep the original grips and get a better purchase on the grip. Enjoy.

Back