French Mas?

swatman

I have recently seen a few French Mas rifles for sale at a gun store. They look nice and seem to shoot a potent enough cartridge. (7.5) and am wondering if anyone here has any experience with these rifles?

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

The MAS 49/56 is a great rifle but the ammo is expensive , the cheapest I have found it is $7.50 for 15 rounds . Good luck , Mike...

It is the semi-Auto.
Also may I ask if all the ammo is expensive or are there cheaper places to find ammo?

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

7.5mm french ammo is not the cheapest stuff around. Look in Shotgun News.It used to be more expensive, but there are some deals out there. I've bought somwe for around $6 a box of 15. This is for a bolt gun I shoot maybe once everyother year. For a semi you'd want to buy more I suppose. Good luck!

It is possible to convert these MAS rifles to 7.62x51. Some of these were converted upon import, but I've heard the conversion was done hastily and reliability suffered. Someone in the SGN was advertising a conversion for these to 7.62x51 and also to accept metric FAL magazines.

If you reload then the problem is easy to fix
the 7.5mm is really .308in and the case can be formed by necking up 6.5x55sweede the dies can be had from LEE

Oh, all the french stuff (french&syrian) is to the best of my knoldge corrosive primed

STAY AWAY from MAS

1. Ammo is expensive
2. More reliable Semi-Autos can be had in same price range (ak-47, sks)
3. magazines suck
4. It is a FRENCH design
5. FRENCH SMALL ARMS SUCK
6. They would all be speaking German today if it weren't for a bunch of 18-23 year old American boys.

7. Their country was overrun in a week, and I think all their small arms designs are pitiful. The Chauchaut is the real winner of the bunch. NOT. Need I say more.

orsogato, there's a heck of a lot I don't know about small arms, but one thing I DO know is that "FRENCH SMALL ARMS SUCK" (everyone repeat that after me...)

Read Frank de Haas 'Bolt Action Rifles' to see just how much the MAS bolt action sucks,
and extrapolate to the auto...

You said it, brudda...

Back