French Luger

Classic12

Went to the LGS to deliver some old Swiss rifles and pick up some old ammo.

He had something special to show me : a Mauser Luger made under the French occupation in 1945 with a matching number magazine. This is from the second batch made, serial numbers from 200 to 500 approx. made. Many of them went to Indochina.

Price is consistent with rarity, $ 4300 (and no I’m not buying it, just showing it here).

Some more info on those rare pistols here :

http://www.lugerlp08.com/the artillery luger - french parabellum.htm

1142053cd4bea56c9e3a3a2a5bfd00d3.jpg

cc99a66382ae75bf8c4398b903aa5df4.jpg

379db065dc29d124e657e96a138bc122.jpg

31cbc52d97c30d48d550615167e35763.jpg

853384d0c71464ab93490ae708899046.jpg

ab5fb5055eba2690ed658234b34eeb9c.jpg

04721ce9bcbda6d99a12df0cbc23aef8.jpg

f1cc28222eb2de4817a66e0cb43b3666.jpg

ef28278cd9e49b8fd1645475cfee5a92.jpg

676edce4ae131e2be125736e4e93bd01.jpg

"Rare" German handgun variants, particularly C96s and Lugers, are the number one area of forgeries in the gun trade - even if the 'rarity' of the variant is complete BS and/or an invention or hyper-inflation by US traders/collectors/forgers. (See "Red 9" C96s.)
This one had me questioning it, before even seeing photos.
After seeing the photos, I doubt it even more.

The bluing doesn't seem right.
A couple of the numbers look over-stamped.
Some of the numbers seem to be in a smaller font than typically seen on 'French' Lugers.
And it is missing the waffenamt that absolutely would have been stamped on this gun, if produced under the Reich. Someone forgot to order the right stamp.

If legit, it is post-WWII.
But, unfortunately, the odds favor forgery.
Two of the most prominent appraisers in this country estimate that there are now more forgeries and/or bad conglomerations or parts for "rare" Luger variants in the US than the bread-and-butter standard pistols - and more than were ever produced by the Germans, period.

In 2016, a truly rare Luger prototype was up for auction in the US. Real deal. Known history, plus documentation. But all the world could do was laugh. Because, in the very same auction were FOUR other pistols claiming to be that prototype.

If it were made under French occupation/administration, of course it's post-war?
The edges are soft, so it could be a refinish without being a fake.

The French took over the Mauser plant, and put it to work making Lugers.
Forgotten Weapons just put up a video about these French Lugers.

"Rare" German handgun variants, particularly C96s and Lugers, are the number one area of forgeries in the gun trade - even if the 'rarity' of the variant is complete BS and/or an invention or hyper-inflation by US traders/collectors/forgers. (See "Red 9" C96s.)
This one had me questioning it, before even seeing photos.
After seeing the photos, I doubt it even more.

The bluing doesn't seem right.
A couple of the numbers look over-stamped.
Some of the numbers seem to be in a smaller font than typically seen on 'French' Lugers.
And it is missing the waffenamt that absolutely would have been stamped on this gun, if produced under the Reich. Someone forgot to order the right stamp.

If legit, it is post-WWII.
But, unfortunately, the odds favor forgery.
Two of the most prominent appraisers in this country estimate that there are now more forgeries and/or bad conglomerations or parts for "rare" Luger variants in the US than the bread-and-butter standard pistols - and more than were ever produced by the Germans, period.

In 2016, a truly rare Luger prototype was up for auction in the US. Real deal. Known history, plus documentation. But all the world could do was laugh. Because, in the very same auction were FOUR other pistols claiming to be that prototype.

It is post war and I don’t understand why you think the French would apply the Waffenamt on weapons manufactured under their supervision for their use.

And it’s not in the US

I suggest you read the link in the first post.

The Germans stopped producing Lugers long before the end of the war and switched the tooling over to making P38s, which the French continued. Why would anyone resurrect the Luger line when the P38 was in full production. The concept make no military or economic sense at all.

Back