Free Floating/Bedding Synthetic Stock

steve4102

A friend of mine has a Rem700 300 Ultra Mag that doesn’t shoot as well as he would like.

The barrel is in complete contact with the forearm.

As all of my firearms are wood, free floated and glass bedded, I thought this would be a good place to start, or is it.

Can these plastic stocks be free floated and bedded similar to wood or no?

Thanks

A generous free float will probably make a difference. They can be glass bedded, but depending on the stock construction it can be a little harder. And less likely to gain anything. The cheaper injection molded stocks can be hard to get the bedding compound to adhere to the plastic. It works better with the higher end fiberglass or kevlar stocks.

The main purpose of glass bedding a wood stock is because wood expands and contracts over time. This causes uneven pressure on the action as the wood changes shape. Putting a bedding compound between the wood and metal allows the wood to change dimensions without effecting the action.

Since synthetic isn't going to change shape with atmospheric conditions bedding synthetic just doesn't make much difference. If you have a sloppy fit between the action and stock bedding can help. But I've never noted any difference with a synthetic stock whether it is bedded or not.

What stock is it?

In most cases, you are money ahead replacing the stock with a nice Bell & Carlson stock….bedding it is just a bit better even. Much of the improvement in accuracy is having a nice stiff stock.

Free floating is generally a good thing, but bedding and stiffness are key.

The term "synthetic stock" is too broad to give you a good answer.
There are stocks that may be a filled injection molded polypropylene.

The problem with those is you can mix epoxy on a polypro work surface ,let it cure hard,then crack it off. Glues and resins don't stick to some plastics. You might as well try to glass bed a teflon stock. I'd suggest not wasting your time.

Some synthetic stocks are composite. They may have a foam core ,a structure of fiberglass,graphite ,kevlar, bonded by epoxy resin. These certainly may be glass bedded and/or free floated.

And.there may be some stocks in between.... molded of a material that epoxy will stick to.

I can't tell you what you have. If you hog out clearance for the glass bed and free float,then discover the epoxy does not bond.your friend will not be happy.

The Bell and Carlson suggestion is not a bad one. There are a number of composite Rem 700 stocks,vary by weight and price.

No disrespect intended,there may be a bedding problem, but the first thing I'd check with a 300 Rem Ultra mag is the shooter.
Try the old standard of loading your friend's rifle for him. Load a dummy round,or just close the bolt on an empty chamber. Recoil anticipation will be obvious at the trigger pull.

That takes a different fix.

Thanks,
My son and I are going to shoot it this weekend. He has no problem with heavy recoil, so hopefully we can determine if it’s the shooter or the rifle. We also installed new mounts and scope .

Back