free floating barrels

Ldoll

Is it normal for the barrel not to be exactly centered in between the edges of the stock? Could it be an indicator that the stock screws are improperly torqued? I recently had the trigger adjusted by a qualified gunsmith and not sure if he torqued them enough or too much.

LDOLL:
I think we should know if the space on either side was even when it went to the Smith. If so, there may be a problem.

Another issue, Is it bedded?
If it is not bedded, when the Smith put it back in the stock, there may be a possibility that it did not center exactly. This would be minimal, and in all probability the rifle could be re-zeroed with out difficulty.

I have seen some floated barrels that were not evenly spaced on both sides and that was caused by the one who removed to much wood on one side than the other. This is cosmetically incorrect, however, will not deter the accuracy. There is nothing touching the barrel, if floated properly, so the accuracy should not be reduced.

HJN

The culprit is the wood stock warping. It is common for wood to warp to one side with as little as 5% humidity change. The reason it is not noticed is it is kept from moving by non floated barrel

Back