Fredericksburg gun show

noelf2

Went to the Fredericksburg show today. Dealers and private sellers do seem to be more apt to "dealing" and "selling" now. To keep this bp related, I picked up a box of locks and parts, including a fully functional flintlock lock, although it's for a lefty. 2 functional percussion locks that look like they came off spanish Jukars or CVA or some such, and a non functional percussion lock. Included about a dozen flints and a bag full of assorted lock parts and springs. All for $25. He wanted $45, and the flintlock alone is worth more than that IMO. Also picked up an older (late 1950's he said) but rock solid Stevens 311 SxS 16 gauge shotgun. Talked him down to $250 from $280 and took it home. I've been wanting one of these in 16 gauge. There were other deals but I spent my limit.

Gun shows seem to be getting better!

IMG1.jpg.jpg

IMG2.jpg.jpg

IMG3.jpg.jpg

IMG_20150912_170653_781.jpg

Last edited:
Needs some cleaning up, and the sear spring is weak. It's small, and would be a pistol lock.

One of the percussion locks is a CVA Hawken lock. Very clean. Needs a sear spring. The other percussion lock works fine, I have no idea what it goes to.

noelf2

Not my gauge, but nice double. Methinks your VA shows are better than ours.

Doc- Does that mean you passed on the DWM? I wondered.

One guy with Lugers. He's always there, and is VERY proud of them. He doesn't display prices, and I rarely ask. There were lots of C&R qualified guns and rifles, but I wasn't in the market for them. Prices were higher than I'd pay if I was looking. The same crook with all the Italian made "genuine colt" revolvers was there. He has a clone Remmy NMA that has been defarbed and antiqued. He's selling that as an original for around $1100. My shotgun is a C&R, I think...

I'm still working on it....

But I am about to.

The 7.65 caliber scares me.

I am saving my pennies and will probly try to get a "shooter" on the Gunbroker.

Local gun shop (Bobs Guns in Norfolk) has three but they are all collectables at 2000.00 and up.

I am doing pretty good at selling the Walker loading lever clips and as soon as the kitty fills up, I'll take the plunge. But will likely be a 9mm.

On that lock in the pics, I didn't notice until I looked at the picture. It's discontinued lock from Dixie Gun Works (DGW).

Amazing!

There is a crook who is sometimes present at shows in Hampton Roads who sounds almost exactly like the crook you describe.

Non-shooting replicas in Colt Second Gen boxes priced at 450.00.
That fake "original" Remington.
He had a Cattleman with a cap and ball cylinder priced at 900.00. I bought mine new for 300.00.
And on and on.

I wonder how many unsuspecting people he has ripped off.
I wonder that someone hasn't complained to the promoters.
I wonder, if someone has, that the the promoters haven't done anything about it.

Yep, I've seen him with all those things. He still has most of them so I guess he just likes carrying them around the state. I once asked him why he has an ASM sitting on a Colt box. He just grinned.

Still, nobody had Trail Boss powder.... I'm down to half a pound.

Colt fakes

Presuming the gun has had the company's logo removed, what do you look for to define a fake Colt? Might be good to know.

To me, the hardest thing...

...would be the distinctive markings on the side of the frame. "Colts Patent" and the caliber marking on the trigger guard aft of the trigger on the port side.

The markings make use of a quite distinctive type. It would be hard to get it right without having a special punch.

For an 1860, I think the dimensions of the pistol are only accurate in the Belgian Centaure. All of the replicas are somewhat off. Experts are welcome to correct that statement.

Now on the non-firing replica being passed off as a second or third gen Colt, it was relatively easy to spot from ten paces.

A while ago the crook of whom we are speaking had a Remington that had been antiqued and I am pretty sure it was a different one from the item he is now trying to sell.

I asked him if I could pick it up and of course he gave his permission and at the end of the sentence he said, "That gun is original." I noted the 1750.00 price tag but also noted the target sights. I said, "Original what?" He said, "Original Remington." No Remington markings. Target sights, antique process which was not credible.

I don't argue with folks at gun shows because generally they are armed. I just put it down and walked away.

noelf2 - in looking at the FL - that's a very odd place to put a lock bolt on the tail of the lock plate? Wonder what was with that? Good thing is, it can be filled in with weld and polished out if you want to spend the time doing it.

Good score on the 16ga S X S. I know that 16 gauge has sort of fallen out of favor with a lot of folks but thats my favorite gauge. When I was a kid, I had an old N.R.Davis 16 ga S X S. I took a lot of pheasants, ducks, bunnies and squirrels with that well used shotgun. It was used when I got it - cost a whopping $45 and had seen a lot of use but it got the job done! I have to watch myself when I'm around a good S X S now - I keep telling myself I don't "need" one - which I don't - but it would sure be fun to have one and load some nice brass shells with BP.

Sounds like you had a good day and got some good buys! Good for you! :)

bedbugbilly if you look close you can see a hole for a second lock bolt at the other end of the lock plate.

I like 16 gauge also, and this one has the 28" barrels with medium and full choke. Just what I was looking for. Was made in 1954. I plan to load my own 16 gauge in plastic hulls, as I already have a bunch of 16 gauge wads that I use in 20 gauge solid brass magtech hulls for my old h&r 20 gauge shotgun.

Back