Freaking out a little

ttdub

Hey guys... I just got through cleaning my gun with Rem oil whipes, and I ripped it into a few pieces to get it down the bore. Well, I just got through reading about the oil, and it says not to breathe the vapors, but when I ripped it, it definitely shot a bunch of the oil in the air. I did it in my living room (probably not smart). It also said not to get it on the skin, but I just used my hands without gloves...should I be worried about all this?

Just wash thoroughly and take it as a lesson learned. One exposure is not going to harm you greatly.

But with any volatile cleaner or product, you should be using it in a very well ventilated area. And I do use gloves for some products (just the cheap drug store nitrile type gloves) as anything with petroleum, coal oil or other distillates is not something you want to accumulate a lot of exposure to.

I used to handle plenty of nasty stuff when I still did lab work, so I have always tried to minimize my skin contact and inhalation of anything volatile or with warnings about exposure. Just exercise reasonable care, and be sure to clean up well afterwards. Its pretty much impossible to avoid some exposure, but you can limit it and keep it to safe levels.

It's all unhealthy

Nearly every petroleum based product is an inhalation hazard. But that little fact should not keep you from using these products as needed. Indeed, if you inhale concentrated vapor from Rem Oil or any other gun cleaning and lubricating product your respiratory functions will be compromised. However, we do not normally place our nose on the container neck and inhale deeply.

The warning is there as part of product liability protection. Similar to warnings from gun manufacturers to unload before cleaning. Read Hoppe's 9 Material Safety Data Sheet and you will be scared to be in the same county with a bottle of the stuff. But many of us love "the smell of Hoppe's in the morning." Just use common sense.

When I was in middle school a teacher said Testers model glue could make you go blind. Considering I spent numerous hours putting together anything from model cars to model ships to model blackpowder guns he had me kinda freaked. Of coarse I was 13 so I had an excuse to be a little freaked and to my amazement I can still see (for the most part) today.

In short, I'm surprised bottle water doesn't come with a lawyer label. Drinkin or intentionally inhaling the stuff? Natural selection and you deserve what comes to ya. Other than that don't sweat it.

Honestly, it's not gonna hurt you if all you did (or will do) is smell it strongly from time to time or even get it on your skin. I spent most of a decade working in an oil refinery/chemical plant in a benzene/toluene rich environment (and other chemicals just as dangerous) back in the 70's. Folks would wash things in benzene, toluene, acetone and others and not think a thing about it. That was way before they were declared (and rightly so) to be dangerous to your health.

DO NOT USE ANY PRODUCT WITH TEFLON in it in your rifle barrel.
It will definitely destroy the accuracy potential of the rifle.

Use all cleaners in a well ventilated area.

I use 28-34% aqueous ammonia to clean rifle barrels. IT WILL KILL YOU if not used properly.

DO NOT USE ANY PRODUCT WITH TEFLON in it in your rifle barrel.
It will definitely destroy the accuracy potential of the rifle.

Imagine.....using BreakFree CLP which has PTFE (a.k.a., Teflon) in it.....all these years. :eek:

http://glarp.atk.com/2008/msds/Primers.pdf
CCI / SPEER
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
PRODUCT NAME: Rifle, Pistol Primers

HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS
Lead Styphnate
Barium Nitrate
Copper (Primer Cup Component)
Zinc Compounds (Primer Cup Component)

INHALATION: After primers have been fired, dust, vapors, and/or fumes may be irritating to the respiratory system and can result in both acute and chronic overexposure.

We're all dead.....

INGESTION: When primers are fired or otherwise discharged, dust, vapors, and/or fumes may be absorbed by the digestive system and can result in both acute and chronic overexposure. Ingestion of a complete primer can cause irritation to the digestive system, and possibly other unknown health effects.

And.... we're gonna die with stomach distress

SKIN CONTACT: After primers have been fired, dust, vapors, and/or fumes may cause irritation. Projectiles from fired ammunition can cause puncture wounds.

(I really, really, really like that last observation)

Lions and tigers and bears...
(Oh my)
:rolleyes:

As far as I can tell your going to DIE in 5--4--3--2--:eek: LMAO

I've been a painter most of my life . Holy cow the amount of chemicals i have breathed in , absorbed and or just been in contact with ?????

Well lets just say I should Be dead in 5--4--3--2--:D

Have you gotten cancer yet ??? Cancer rate has gone up 20% in 10 years and similar increases in other immune problems.
"USE ONLY IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS "

It's a bad thing to gamble on !!

Back