Frankford Arsenal 7.62 Match Ammo 1964

Jim567

I was just given more than 200 rounds of this ammo.

Its in OK condition, some rounds could use a bit of a wipe down.

I only have modern .308 rifles. Savage Model 11 for example.

Is this ammo OK to fire in my Savage .308.

Cheers,

Jim

Do you know how it's been stored for all those years?

When you say that the rounds could use a good wipe down, why? Is the brass just dull looking or is there some corrosion on them?

If there's any green goo coming from the case, those are bad for sure. Any corrosion that has eaten into the case is better to toss then risk a KB in your firearm.

Can you post a picture of them?

No corrosion. No green discharge.
There is a redish “dust” on them that wipes off.
I believe it to be the cardboard deteriorating.
Stored in airtight ammo cans but for at least five years in an attic in Florida .

All rounds fired today.
Managed a 2.75” group with a Columbian FN Mauser,original sights,questionable bore and my 63 year old eyes.
100 meters

Last edited:
Note this was 30.06 match 1960 Frankford Arsenal about same condition.
The 7.62 NATO also all fired in my Armalite.
No issues but just plinked with it.

Last edited:
7.62 MM Match
XM 118
Lot FA17
173 grains
2550 FPS
————
Caliber .30 Match
M-72
Lot 102
Bullet 173 grains
Velocity 2640 FPS
————-

The 1964 7.62 was a little less patinaed
No corrosion on any

Last edited:
It also shot noticeably clean,both 30 odd six and 7.62.
Seemed as clean or cleaner than the Hornady steel match I usually shoot.

Last edited:
Jim567,
What you had was the first of the experimental match 7.62 ammo produced by Frankfort Arsenal for the marksmanship teams and sniper use. XM118 later became M118 made by Lake City Arsenal as well and was a standard for Service Rifle competition through the 80's. Loaded with cannister grade 4895 type powders and 173 grain FMJ projectiles certain lots were considered exceptionally accurate when fired in match graded M14 type rifles. Mex-Matching M118 [replacing the 173gr bullet with a Sierra 168] further improved accuracy.
Save the labels and boxes in good condition. Some old shooter/collector might like to have a reminder of the golden age of Service Rifle competition.

Both the M72 and M118 brass cases were stamped 'Match' and the year of mfg. What was the stamp on the base of the brass.
That ammo has value. I have seen sellers asking as much as $25/box. The Boxes marked XM118 may bring more from collectors. Sealed boxes are premium.

Cases are stamped
FA 64 MATCH
I would have included pictures but I am having problems with my Photobucket account
And my new iPhone

Back