Franchi SPAS-12

Apeach

I was just wondering if it was possible to own a SPAS-12 in the united states, and if anyone does own one, what are some positives and negatives about it? All I know is that it looks really cool.

I had a Spas 12 folder a few years back. Now they're considered destructive devices if I recall correctly. The fixed stock model is still
legal. It is an awesome-looking gun, but it's complicated to learn to use (much less disassemble and reassemble). And the action is not as smooth as other semi's. But it's fun to take to parties :) .

Dick

+ :
Very impressive looks
Incredibly Heavy (= Better recoil performance)
Pump/Auto

- :
Incredibly Heavy
Early model lever safety was recalled (replaced with push button)
Same performance can be had in lighter, smaller packages.

A buddy of mine had one about a year ago. It was not a fixed stock. He got it from a fellow Marine of ours, who sold it to him for $200 bucks...NIB. There wasn't one shot put through it. I went with him to a gun show when he sold it for $1000. He would have sold it to me for $500, but I was a little low on funds. I regret it now. I see them all the time here at shows, fixed/non-fixed.

Semper Fi-
JJC

SPAS

No, SPAS-12's aren't destructive devices and they are perfectly legal to own (unless your state has some sort of prohibition against them). You'll find pre-ban models with the top fold stock and post ban models with a fixed stock and short mag tube.

A quick look on Gunsamerica shows an average price of about $1200 now.

I had a SPAS-12 for a few years and was umimpressed with it. It was very cool and intimidating looking but a less than satisfactory performer IMO. It was picky in semi-auto and kinda clunky to use as a pump. It was a pig, big heavy and awkward. I sold mine off and bought a Remington 870 that I was a lot happpier with. It's not semi-auto but it's lighter, simpler and works well.

The SPAS is an interesting collectable but for a serious fighting shotgun I'd go with any of the American pumps (870, Mossberg 500, Winchester Defender) or a Remington, Benelli or Beretta semi. Especially for the money. You could get 2 1187's or 1201FP's for the money the SPAS's are going for, or 3 or 4 good pump guns. If you really have to have the pump/semi option then teh benelli M-3 is a much better way to go IMO.

I know that they are not legal in Kalifornia. The look too much like an evil assult weapon. They are also not supposed to be the most reliable shotgun on the market either. Neet weapon, gives you that terminator look. I sure would not pay the going price for one. There are too many other firearms that I would rather have. I would also hate to have to carry one a great distance, they are a heavy mother.
John K

General Tso, I stand corrected. The clerks at the local shops have been telling me that the Spas 12 was Class III. I checked the BATF site and couldn't find it on any list. Then I went to gunbroker.com and saw a whole bunch of them--fixed and folding stocks--for sale without any "all NFA rules apply" disclaimers.

Maybe this should go on one of those "idiot in gun shop" threads over on General Discussion.

Sorry for the confusion.

Dick

i saw a used pre-ban, in good shape, at a gun show, for $295, in december of '99.
Could have, probably, talked my dad into it, bu alas i didnt.

Back