Frames? Can someone please explain?

Kimio

So I’ve been reading around and I constantly see terms such as J frame or K frame. As far as I can tell, this is the general shape of the revolver’s body, however, I’m not sure why you would pick one over the other.

Does the type of from offer a mechanical or ergonomic advantage over one design over the other?

For someone with medium hand size, is this something I should even consider if I were to be shopping around for one?

X-frames are the .500 S&W and .460 S&W frames (them's the big boys).

I think the Governor .410 is a Z-frame but don't quote me on that. It's a handheld shotgun revolver.

Yes you should consider frame size when shopping for a revolver.

Colt also has revolvers with different frame sizes. My 1941 Police Positive Special and 1962 Detective Special are on the Colt "D" frame. Larger than the Smith and Wesson "J" frame but smaller than the Smith "K" frame.

Frame size often but not always determines the use of the revolver. A .22 kit gun or .38 defensive pocket revolver are generally better in the smaller sizes where duty or hunting revolvers are generally the larger sizes.

Enjoy you revolver quest.

A "J" Frame S&W 642, five shot 38 special

2gv5sth.jpg

A "K" Frame Model 66, six shot, 357

vqnxmv.jpg

A "N" frame Model 29, six shot, 44 Magnum.
2uxyd54.jpg

The differences may appear subtle in the photographs, but they will jump out at at you in the real world.

Smith & Wesson also makes a "L" frame that fits between the K and the N, and an X frame that's bigger than the "N," but I don't have either of those.

They also made at one time a slightly smaller one called the "I" frame but that one is seldom encountered these days.

In regards to replacement grip panels.

J- only panels for J frames will fit ( square/round butt)
K/L- Panels for K/L will fit both frames (square/round butt)
N- Only panels for N frames will fit

The difference between the K and L frames is the size of the cylinder window. The L frames have a window that will accept the larger 6 shot .357 cylinder.

Fot most S&W revolvers it's just a matter of scale. The J frame, though, has a different lockwork than the rest.

Just my take.

@Master Blaster. I have been stationed overseas for the past couple of years where personal firearms are prohibited and local ranges are pretty much non-existent. The only exposure I’ve had to wheel guns was my uncles .44 magnum that I have no idea what model or manufacturer made it.

@Dpris I don’t hang around this section, and I seldom looked into revolvers. It wasn’t until more recently that I started getting interested in learning about them, so you’ll have to excuse my ignorance. My knowledge is stronger when it comes to historical military rifles and semi automatic handguns.

"A "K" Frame Model 66, six shot, 357"

Technically, that's an F frame.

Stainless steel revolvers carried different frame identification designations.

E frame is the stainless analog of the carbon-steel J frame, etc.

Realistically, those stainless steel designators are rarely used outside the factory, and most people, while they've heard of a K frame, have never heard of an F frame.

Just to stir the pot...there is also the obsolete "P" frame, small revolver. I have a P frame .32 Smith & Wesson long revolver that has the leaf mainspring instead of the J frame's coiled mainframe [Sic, "mainspring"]

Last edited:
I never quite understood this S&W frame designations myself.
Bill kept it simple
Cajunbass gave great pictures
Others added more of the “yeah and it can get confusing” part.

Although there are stupid questions, this wasn’t one of them!

Technically, that's an F frame.

Stainless steel revolvers carried different frame identification designations.

E frame is the stainless analog of the carbon-steel J frame, etc.

Realistically, those stainless steel designators are rarely used outside the factory, and most people, while they've heard of a K frame, have never heard of an F frame.

And the point of this is??? To confuse a newbie with useless information?

I’m not sure why you would pick one over the other.

Which frame size you choose would mostly depend on your intended use and caliber of choice. The J frame being smallest and for concealed carry, the K and L frames being midsize and up to .357 in power, and used for carry, home defense, target, competition, range, and small animal hunting, and then the larger frames N and X being calibers above .357 magnum and mostly for hunting.

You can adjust the grip size on the various frames to fit most people's hands.

"And the point of this is??? To confuse a newbie with useless information?"

Because he asked about frame designations.

Obviously he wants to cut through the confusion, and to do so requires correct information, even if it's a little too esoteric for some.

"Just to stir the pot...there is also the obsolete "P" frame, small revolver. I have a P frame .32 Smith & Wesson long revolver that has the leaf mainspring instead of the J frame's coiled mainframe [Sic, "mainspring"] "

No, there wasn't, at least not in factory nomenclature.

The original Hand Ejector, the Model of 1896, was an I frame and introduced the .32 S&W Long cartridge. It was later chambered in .22 and .38 S&W and used the leaf main spring.

After World War II the I frame was re-engineered to slightly enlarge it and to replace the leaf spring with a coil mainspring.

This became known as the Improved I frame.

The Improved I frame still wasn't large enough to fit the .38 Special, so the J frame was introduced in the very late 1940s/early 1950s.

The smallest frame size S&W ever produced in the Hand Ejector series was the M frame, chambered only for .22 Long (NOT Long Rifle).

The first version had the standard thumb latch to release the cylinder, but the subsequent two versions when to a barrel lug pull out lock that did away with the need for fitting very tiny parts into the M frame.

These were the original LadySmith revolvers, and are highly sought by collectors today.

I've never heard of an "N" frame. Learn something new every day I suppose.

Here's another one. I put it on layaway just a couple of hours ago. I THINK it's an "I" frame, but I'm not sure at this point if it's an "I" an "Improved I" or what, but it gives you an idea of the size.

30m8m52.jpg

It's a "Regulation Police" in 32 Long. It's a rather small, almost delicate looking gun. The S/N is in the 586XXX range. (The box numbers to the gun.)

Back