Frame lugs ~ this time Colts....

Bob Wright

When I was very young, Colt and S&W .45 caliber revolvers were available at pretty cheap prices, even for the time. Both Colt and S&W revolvers could be had for around $20.00. Colts were either M1917 .45 ACPs or New Service in .45 Colt or .455 Eley, while the Smiths were M1917 only in .45 ACP.

I had bought a New Service, an ex-Canadian RCMP revolver. An original .455 it had been reamed to .45 Colt. In time I rebuilt that to .44 Special, so I was left with an extra .45 Colt cylinder. So, why not convert one of the M1917s to .45 Colt?

Well, as you might guess, the raised lug on the side plate of the Colt (integral with the sideplate on Colts) was fitted for the shorter ACP cylinder and the .45 Colt cylinder would not be allowed to open without filing down that lug.

Yeah, much of my gun knowledge has been learned the hard way.

Bob Wright

The "Learning Curve"

Yeah, much of my gun knowledge has been learned the hard way.
Guilty as charged and I still have all my fingers.
I'm willing to bet. That you never made the same mistake, twice. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

When I was very young, Colt and S&W .45 caliber revolvers were available at pretty cheap prices, even for the time. Both Colt and S&W revolvers could be had for around $20.00.

Yep I remember going to a gun show and there were two BIG boxes of 1917's. One of Colts and the other were Smiths. They were $25.00 each or two for $40.00.

Sigh... I may never get one now...

Last edited:
I have an old Gun Digest where the guy ....converted.... a M28 into 41 Mag.
Called it "simple." :eek:

Lined the barrel, turned down the cylinder, took down that lug, and replaced the crane.

NUTS in my book. :p

Back