FR-8 Mauser

Road Dog

Inactive
This weekend I spotted one of the Spanish mausers and it looked like a solid well made rifle. I was just curious if they are a good rifle. Do they shoot O.K. as far in close to medium ranges? Thanks RD

My FR-8 Shoots just fine, I would recommed a light load for it, it is an awfully light .308 and does kick a bit.

If you look trough SGN I have seen the Bayonets for around $30.00

Have fun
Please dont 'sporterize' If you need a sporter you can sell the FR-8 to a good number of MILLSURP'ers and buy a civi 308
but that is just my opinion

I'll agree with Nestor on sporterizing old military guns. It was all the fashion and rage in the '50s and -'60s. Today its restoration to mil-spec.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

another good page with FR-8 info is http://web.jet.es/apraiz/e_spsteel.html

and i will also agree witht he above, it's a great little gun that doesn't need much tinkering, tho i did open up the peep apetures to the next larger standard drill size than they were. does anyone know of a good source for striper clips to fit?

I just had my FR8 out about 1 month ago. I did a little bit of work with it from the bench at 100 yds. My first 5 shot group, using surplus German ammo, went into a nice 1" circle. This despite the fact that the trigger is aweful and cycling the action feels like pulling the bolt through a gravel pit! I need to fine tune this rifle! Actually, I bought it to turn into a scout rifle. Maybe after my Enfield scout is done.

Jaeger-

tho i cringe at the thought of converting a FR-8 to a sporterized configuration, i will admit that i had similar thoughts for one of mine once...

i prefer military rifles in their "as issued" configuration but anyway, your rifle, your choice, but i'll make a suggestion that may save you a bunch of time and money, find a Weaver #92A scope mount (it's the one pc. mount for a Thompson/Center Contender) this will fit the radius of a military "stepped" mauser bbl and the mount should only cost about $6.00 and takes 3 screws to mount. much simpler and cheaper than the Ashley Outdoor mount on my Remington Seven Scout

------------------
resist or serve

Back