Found me a nice 257 M70 today

King Cobb

Inactive
It's a transition model that has an issue or two, but it's a great deal for me! Will post better pics later! Has a Griffin Howe scope and a lyman peep sight.

Attachments

• pix682659490.jpg
    pix682659490.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 280
Great cartridge in a classic rifle!

As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. I don't buy Pre-64 M70's unless they are really cheap. I don't know enough to make sure I don't get burned on paying too much. The one and only Pre-64 I bought, I decided to sell three days later. It was going to cost me too much money if I kept it.

Nice rifle and cartridge, big fan of the .257 cal here.

I'm with talorce1 on pre 64 rifles though. The people that own them tend to think they're made of gold. If you can get it for a decent price though I'm all for it.

I got it for what I consider a good price for a transition model pre 64. The stock is original, the finish I am confident about, but we will see.

One thing I will have to look at is the lyman peep sight:

pix873337811.jpg

It has the base but is missing the peep, will have to see about running one of those down.

As far as I can tell, its a pretty nice detachable vintage GH scope.

If the price seems fair to you that is all that matters. I've bought guns that I know I overpaid for but to me that doesn't really matter.

Never heard of that scope and never knew they made them. It is odd looking.

Oh I have already bought it, I was looking for opinions on buying it, I just wanted to share what I bought and see what yall thought of the condition.

Very nice old classic. Love to see people still keeping them alive. Never owned a quarter bore but that is one id set up to load for.

Beautiful rifle. I'm a huge fan of the Model 70 257 Roberts. My Featherweight is my go to Deer/Antelope rifle.

Great looking rifle ! :)

I always wanted an older .257 Roberts chambered rifle. But have never found one at a price I want to pay.

Rob

I like it. It's a worthy rifle. I think if it were mine, I might want to mount the scope further forward. But it looks like that may not be possible with the scope and mounts that you have; and I would be reluctant to change that out, unless it would be replaced with something of the same vintage. Perhaps a Weaver K4, or Lyman Alaskan, in those same mounts, maybe.... I'm pretty darn sure I wouldn't put a new scope on it. If it all works good just the way it is for you, then keep it that way, if the scope doesn't fog up on you when you bring it in from the cold. I would definitely add a leather military-style sling as what was used on the Springfield back in the day. Keep it as original and/or period correct as you can, and by all means, hunt with it. Congratulations on obtaining a very cool and classic rifle.

Fantastic gun Cobb.I have 2 prewar M70s and a 1951 built one, all in 30-06. Just love them.
You realize the .257 is worth a premium over the common 30-06/270 right?

Great looking, classic Model 70, chambered in a much over-looked but useful cartridge. I have an older Ruger Model 77 rifle, chambered in .257 Roberts that always gets the job done on whitetails when using 120 grain Remington "Core-Lokt" bullets.

This gun is in great shape. Aside from the side mounted scope and the peep sight it is amazingly original. I haven't been able to figure out the brand on the scope, but it is very clear and sharp.

Attachments

• 2017-02-09 14.38.52.jpg
    2017-02-09 14.38.52.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 25
Here is your rifle:

attachment.php

I have some old M70's for a long time. The standard grades are heavy as a sporter and the side mount!

A buddy got some chucks and deer with an old 257 in a Rem. At least yours is a pre 64!

Past week, went in a pawnshop that I seldom visit. Darn if it didn't have a Remington 722 in .257R. It'd been well used, but bore was decent. Price was $490. Asked clerk for his best selling price and after checking his computer, clerk knocked $100 off the rifle. If I didn't already own four 257R rifles, I'd had a hard time not buying it.

Recall a post on some gun forum years ago, made by a gent whose father had worked in the Remington plant where and when the 722 was made. According to the post, if there was one rifle the Remington plant workers preferred to buy for their personal use, it was the 722 in 257R and that his Dad had one.

Back