Found hand gun

NightScapes

Inactive
We were going through some old stuff around the house and came upon a hand gun. I really don't know a thing about guns so I thought I might ask someone that does.
It says "38 Special CTG" on the barrel. It has a Trade Mark on the right side, just above the grip. It has a wooden grip with a diamond in the center, of which it has a screw that holds the grip in place. The body of the piece is chrome and has a serial # on the butt of the grip. The SN is in the 17000s.
Anything that you guys can tell me would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance,

If it is a Smith and Wesson, then in 38 Special and that serial number range , it probably is a 38 Special Hand Exjector M&P 1899-1902. It also sounds as if it is either well worn or polished and refinished.

Don't worry...

Just send that unkown pistola to me in care of Hotdog, at the Island of Unfit Guns. We'll take good care of it & send you some pictures in consideration of your contribution(s). Ha Ha.

The people who can assist might need some pictures. Good luck. Now if I can look thru some of this junk around here and find an old gun...look around here, Sparky.

NightScapes, this is one case where I won't take a guess without more info. It very likely is a Smith & Wesson, but there were many Spanish copies with unusual or no marks that are positively dangerous to fire. I would recommend not firing the gun until you get can get better info.

Jim

Back