Found at church yard-sale...

SamNavy

This was a first...

Found in the bottom of an old tackle-box. The guy said "I'll be damned... thought that one was filled with sinkers... forgot I even had those. They're 30.06 or something, how about $20?" What the hell, I thought... will hang them on the garage wall as decoration if nothing else.

I think what I have here is 84rounds of linked 7.62x51 blanks. They are headstamped LC77 and other than needing a tumble (or not), appear to be perfect.

I draped them around my 8yr old daughters shoulders rambo-style, which was not appreciated by the church Betty in the next stall.

-Sammy
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20161105_114705_resized.jpg
    20161105_114705_resized.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 698
  • 20161105_114741_resized.jpg
    20161105_114741_resized.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 698
  • 20161105_114813_resized.jpg
    20161105_114813_resized.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 692
My wife enjoys hitting estate and yard sales on weekends. I tag along at times and occasionally run across some interesting stuff at good prices. I bought a decent Burris compact spotting scope last summer along with the tripod for $35.

It is amazing what some people keep and family has to sell after they're gone. My wife usually looks for toys/clothes for the grand kids. I find lots of old tools. Occasionally there will be a firearm for sale, but I've never found anything that interested me.

In about 1986 I came past a Yard Sale in a small town . My wife loves sales and I turned around . I thought I would just set in the car but it was a hot and my wife looks at everything tow or three times . An older lady was sitting at a card table with a younger lady and as I walked buy I seen an old holster for a 1911 . looking at it I told the younger lady if you had the gun I would be interested . She said we have an old gun that was in the holster and put it inside just so people would not be playing with it . She went inside and came out with a Colt 1911 Mint Condition and the original box of shells (only 8 missing) . The best 80 bucking I ever spent .

Last edited:
The OP was quoting the sellers remarks who thought they were 30-06.

The guy said "I'll be damned... thought that one was filled with sinkers... forgot I even had those. They're 30.06 or something, how about $20?"

They are 7.62X51

I remember back in the '90s the punk rockers were wearing them (nickel or chrome plated though) as part of their decor/accessories/or what-ever-fancy-do-dadds are called.

7.62x51mm NATO blanks, linked for use in the M60 machinegun. I've got a couple belts of them somewhere... (also a couple belts of live ammo, somewhere....:))

The long "nose" of the case is to allow feeding in the machinegun. I've used them before, back in the mid 70s.

DO NOT use them for anything other than being a blank, or for decoration.

Theoretically possible to turn the cases into usable brass, in .308, BUT, NOT a practical matter. You can't JUST cut off the "nose" you would also need to ream the new "neck" as the blank case is too thick at that point. I would only consider doing it if it was the end of the world, AND I had already used up all my regular rifle cases. ;)

I have cut some of them off and formed them into .44 Auto Mag cases. That does work, though loads have to be carefully worked up because of the thickness of the brass.

If you have a .308, you might consider popping them off (maybe just a few at a time, as getting them out of the belt by hand is a finger wrecking chore, but it can be done), then polish them up and relink them for a decoration.

Important tip: Do not use them to decorate the mantle over the fireplace, unless you have already fired them!! :D

Back