Found a use for the Remington PC keys...

Guyon

This may have been mentioned before, but the key is the perfect tool for depressing the detent spring when you're REPLACING the politically correct keyed safety. Just dropped in a couple of old style safeties, and while getting that little spring down under the pin was tedious, the Remington key was just the right tool.

Thanks Remington!!! (dripping sarcasm)

Well Dave, there is a bit of silver lining in the fact that I was forced to closely examine how the trigger assembly operates on the 870. It never hurts to know exactly how your gun works.

The thing I love is how it's just so gosh darned simple to take out that piece of junk PC safety and install a proper safety in it's place.

I spent more time trying to drive out the trigger group pins of my buddy's Marine Magnum 870 than I actually spent replacing the safety, took about 2 minutes to drop the trigger group due to the rather tight pins in the receiver but the actual switch of the safety took me no more than a minute.

Guyon, the cloud I was obliquely referring to was the thrice cursed PC safety. No PC safety, no tool to correct same.

Agreed on knowing how your gun works!

Remington messed this one up big time. For a few cents, they could have just used the old safety and dropped the new PC mess in the box for those poor,deluded and ignorant fools that want them.

Don't forget to hold onto those PC safeties until you have access to a postage-paid envelope from some anti group. Use their dime to mail their trash back to them.

Mike

Good tip!!
My "Walmart Special 1100" is getting the new(old) saftey ASAP. Still torn on getting a "jumbo" safety, or going with the standard.

Zane

870, 1100, 11-87, 7600 and 7400 all use same "PC safety". Don't know if any of Remington's .22 use it or not.

Zane, here's my opinion on Jumbo safeties....

The bigger they are, the easier to get knocked on or off at an inopportune time. Since 10 minutes of practice is all it takes to familiarize with the standard safety, why switch?....

Thanks kerth. I just ordered a couple more of the standard safeties--one for the 1100 and one for... well, who knows? Maybe an 11-87 waaay down the road.

Back