Found a sweet 50 yard Bullseye load for my Range Officer

spacecoast

Today I blew away my previous 50-yard slow fire best score with my Springfield Range Officer using 200 gr. Penn SWC bullets (standard grade) pushed by 3.3 grains of Titegroup. Previously I had tried several combinations of Bullseye powder behind a 185 grain bullet. Today, 29 of 30 shots were "in the black" (8-ring or better) and I was able to call several that I knew I had let break a little off the center of the target. Never have I felt so confident about a centerfire handgun at that distance.

In case you think those are pretty light loads for a 1911, they are. My Range Officer has a 12-lb Wolff recoil spring and also a reduced power mainspring.

Even though I'm far from mastering this gun, it continues to impress me. I always shoot iron sights on a variety of semis and revolvers, and the RO's are my favorites. Even though the magazines were extremely tight out of the box, I've never had a misfeed or burp in 4 matches with a variety of handloads and spring combinations.

Penn bullets are excellent.
I use the same one, also with Titegroup, but at ~850 f/s, with excellent general duty accuracy.
Also from a Springfield.
No trouble hitting rocks and clay birds at the 50 yds backstop - on a good day.
Good choices.
We are lucky to have such good stuff available with just a phone call or click of the mouse.
If our Grandpappys could see us now.

Back