Found a nice Rossi 720

38Mike

I went into this huge pawn shop just to window shop, this place usually has a poor selection of firearms; but, there she sat, used, but in nice shape, Rossi 720......44 special....ahhhhhh.....
Gun has fixed sights, bobbed hammer, $199. firm..
Put it on layaway for a week, then have to wait my city ordinance 5 days :mad: , then she'll be mine!

I've been bemoaning my POS Taurus 445 ever since I gave it up....I know I'll have a better time with the Rossi.

So, all you 720 owners out there, pat me on the back and tell me good things about my new tool:D

Mike

Have a...

720 Covert (like yours: fixed sights, bobbed hammer).

Do not shoot 240gr bullets; the little gun does fine with 200gr Silvertips or Federal LSWC-HP's.

J-frame square-butt grips fit with a little hand-fitting if you decide the rubber grips are too bulky for easy CCW.

Here's my hideous little sixg... er, fivegun ;) :

rossi720.jpg

Yep, that's the one. Thanks for the tip on the grips, AND on the 240 grainers. I've got a brand new box of 240 gr cast lead bullets that I was going to load, I'll see about trading them in for 200 grain. Had good luck with the silvertips in my 445, going to try them out in the Rossi....2 weeks.......LAWD give me patience :)

Mike

Nice find...the Rossi's are real "sleepers"...generally nicer than you'd expect, based on price, anyway...FWIW, the local pawnshop "gun guru" knows that the Rossi .44's have somewhat of a "cult following"...he routinely lists prices on used ones from $265 to $295, depending on condition...and they NEVER stay in the shop more than a week or ten days...AMAZING!!!....mikey357

Congratulations, you will soon be the proud papa of a fine revolver. Just ignore the snickers and snide remarks from others regarding your new toy. I used to carry the standard version as my CCW gun; still do on occasion. Holsters made for this gun seem to be few and far between; but I find most leather made for a K-frame will work just fine. Three inch barrel holsters don't seem to be very popular so I use the open bottom style that will accomodate the different barrel lengths. For ammo I stick with CCI Blazers with the 200 gn. Gold Dot or the Winchester Silvertips. My testing with wet phone books showed me good expansion and adequate penetration on both.

Enjoy!

Tamara.........

Why not use 240 gr.? Just wondering what experience you had with them in the Rossi. I have the five shot .44 special stainless steel Rossi with adjustable sights and the combat rubber grips and love this gun! Con grats 38Mike on your purchase. It's a good gun that will treat you right.;)

paid in full....

now I wait a week..........

Thanks for the replies, I'm looking forward to shooting this gun. With the recommendation of the 200 grain max. bullet weight, I hope this gem isn't too fragile. I've got a pretty decent Mernickle holster for a 3 inch K frame; should be close.......patience.....man, I need some patience;)

Back