Found a Mannlicher–Carcano at my LGS

GaryED50

Hi all

Can't believe I actually found one but here it is
IMG-1017.jpg

Very low price but something seems to be missing just forward of the trigger. Anyone know what it may be?

Gary

"...missing just forward of the trigger..." I think the stripper clip comes out there. Although there should be a follower assembly. Gunparts has 'em.
The assorted Carcano pundits get antsy when you call 'em a Mannlicher–Carcano.
You need to ID the model. I think the difference is just the calibre, but I"m not sure. This might help.
http://surplused.com/terminology-a-quick-and-dirty-guide-to-carcano-rifle-models/
This will for sure. It's the old Surplus Rifles files. Carcano's are listed under Mannlicher-Carcano. (Guparts lists No. 4 Lee-Enfields under SMLE and that's wrong too. snicker.)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kh9guf4wvgqt8o5/AADQEHpHP43p-QOiMKJajVKra?dl=0
Midways lists Norma 6.5 Carcano SP's at $39.99 per 20.
Graf's lists Prvi ammo as being in stock(Midway says it's limited production) at $15.80 per 20.
All of which assumes it's a 6.5. Not seeing any 7.35 ammo anywhere.

Picture is too artsy to be sure, but it looks like a 91/28 from the chart linked.
The opening in the bottom of the magazine is for the clip to fall out through when empty.
It is not a stripper clip, it is an en-bloc clip that is part of the works of the magazine. You have to have clips to shoot as a repeater.

Hi all

Can't believe I actually found one but here it is
IMG-1017.jpg

Very low price but something seems to be missing just forward of the trigger. Anyone know what it may be?

Gary
The Tag on the rifle says 6.5
I completely forgot it used a clip to hold the rounds

Gary

I own a Carcano chambered in 7.35mm and I see nothing missing. You will need a stripper clip to load. It holds 6 rounds. I reload my own ammo because 7.35mm is hard to find.

You'll need a 'en boc loading device' not a stripper clip to fire in any mode other than single shot and have to tickle that in to boot.

There are two calibers, 6.5x52mm Carcano and 7.35 (something) mm. I have the first model or type, 1891 rifle in 6.5mm. The rifle barrel is about 30 inches long. The carbine version is obviously shorter.

By the way, if you reload, the bullet diameter is .268 inch, not .264 inch like the rest of the 6.5mm rifles.

It is a functional cartridge, but not a real impressive one. The actions are not considered as robust as something on the order of the '98 Mauser. But the ammo is lighter as well, so it isn't dangerous.

It is a great example of first generation smokeless powder cartridge and a 'new' (for the time) design. Yes, it has an ammunition supply and feed system copied from the Mannlicher design; which was copied from the earlier Werndl rifle system - made in the same factory.

Archie, thanks for the correction. I have seen them referred to as stripper clips many times which as you pointed out is incorrect. And loading them single shot is a real pain. As said, mine is a 7.35mm, which is a .298 diameter bullet.

Back