Found a hawken .54 cal muzzle loader barrel in the attic now what?

I found a rusted rod in the attic of my house, making it out as a gun barrel with the piece that extend to meet the flint I think is still on it and a plug is threaded on one end, I've cut most of the rear and the rifleing seems to be intact. Otherwise there is nothing else to it and further q and a with my girlfriend she found it and was using it a sliding door block. My main questions are where can I buy parts to go with it and do I need to register it with anyone? All I remeber on it right now is conneticut arms is engraved and ,54 cal hawken. I can get further info later if needed

It is a Conneticut Valley Arms made rifle. Neither old or a curio. The company is commonly known as CVA. Have you thought about contacting the company that made it for parts? Otherwise try Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works or others in the business of supplying muzzle loading necessities.

I'd be a little leery about making a rifle out of a "rusted rod". Especially one that wasn't an expensive rifle to begin with.

Im unsure if this is a storage method but it was stuffed with cotton balls and some kind of oil so when I pulled that stuff out by unscrewing the plug I pushed it right out, and reveiled a shinny metal interior, the rust seems to be limited to the outside. Thanks for the info!

You can draw file (with a fine file and chalk) the flat edges to get the rust and pitting off, then use fine emery cloth to smooth, then buff, and cold blue. After all of that, you'll have a real pretty door block. :D

You can usually find stocks, locks, and such on Ebay and Gunbroker auctions if you really want to put something together. As other's say, it's a lot to go through for a low end muzzleloader. Good experience though.

Buying all the parts needed to build a complete rifle around that barrel would cost a lot more than just buying a new identical rifle. IMHO, it will be more useful as a door block.

Jim

Back