Found a .357 S&W model 28 for $170...I know nothing about this gun...HELP!

Piggy

Was just offered a model 28 in 90%+ condition for this outrageous price. Problem is...I have never seen or heard anything about this particular model. I would love something that resembles a model 19 or 686...would this be the one to buy? If you are familiar with this gun, your insight would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

;)It's junk! Please tell me where it is so I can relieve the world of this piece of trash. ;)
$170.00 for any N-frame Smith and Wesson is a great price. If it's tight and indexes well, it's worth every penny. The 27 and 28 are the larger frame, or N frame as opposed to the K frame on which the Model 19 is built. for $170.00, even if it needed some minor work, it would be worth the cost of having it done. Check the forcing cone and top strap very carefully for any cracks or undue wear. The 27's and 28's in my area (Ohio) go for at least $100.00 more in 90% condition. The 27 and 28 are the same frame and style as the Dirty Harry .44 mag, but in .357 mag instead. The 27 had the rougher finish, and the 28 had the pretty blued finish. A lot of State police agency's used the 27 and 28 as issue weapons, so a lot were carried much, and shot little. Sounds like a good find. If a smith checks it out, and it's first rate mechanicly, you have a great find in your hands. Given reasonable care, it should last several generations.

[This message has been edited by RAE (edited December 26, 1999).]

It is a good price. Could be in that neigborhood, sales are brisker with semi-auto pistols. Model 28, also known as the Highway Patrol Model. Utility model revolver in 4" and 6" barrels.Manufactured 1954-1986. Check the gap between cylinder and barrel. Be sure its not too big.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited December 26, 1999).]

Greetings, Sounds like a great fine for your
enjoyment. The Smith "N" frames can't be worn
out. They will taking a licking and "keeping
on ticking". Bought one back in Ocotber, 6"
blue with Goncolo Alves Target Stocks in 98%+
N.R.A. condition for the sum of #270.00. It's
been a joy to shoot; as it has a "pinned barrel" and "recessed chamber's"!!! You my friend, got a bargain.

------------------
Ala Dan

One minor (?) correction to Rae's post. The Model 27 is the fancy one with the pretty blued fininsh, and the 28 is the one with the dull utilitarian finish.
I have both in 6 inch. Buy it!
Paul B.

I basically inherited a 28 from my Dad. Big gun no doubt! That being said, it outshoots ANY of my Glocks. I mean the thing is dead on at 25 feet.(With .38 Special, can't shoot magnum loads indoors at my club.)

I put a Houge grip on it as I didn't care for the stock wood grips, just felt too awkward in my hands. Not that crazy about the Houge either, feels "cheap". I'm a little bummed out also as in trying to take off the wooden grips, I tapped on the butt a bit with a little hammer and proceeded to put little "rings" in the butt. Not one of my smartest moves but what is done is done.

Any ideas on a nice set of grips for the 28? Pachmayr?

Grape

Back