Fouling shots?

Nukem

Ever hear of a rifle taking ten shots from a clean bore for the groups to settle in?
My 300 Winmag does this every time I take it out. Has 125 rounds through a new Douglas XX premium.

I am familiar with the fouling shot principal as a former smallbore competitive shooter.

My question is after 10 shots, if you put it away and allow it to cool overnight will the first shot from a cold fouled barrel be dead on. For hunting that is the only important shot. The cold first shot.

I sight in my hunting gun before the season and do not clean it until the season is over for just that reason.

For my Rem. 700PSS tactical rifle the first shot through a perfectly clean bore is the moneymaker, and consistancy thereafter.

[This message has been edited by 700PSS Shooter (edited May 18, 2000).]

Most likely your rifle is not taking 10 shots to foul the bore. Most likely, it is heating up, which is expanding it and changing some little dimension of bore size or stock fit. Make sure all screws are tight on the rifle. Try putting a little paper shim under the barrel near the tip. Things like that might help. Rebedding might help too.
But most likely it is a bad bore. Is the barrel new or is it a used one that you thought was good?
Opps, you say it is new, so this is not the problem! So think about tight screws and bedding.
Also, try shooting another 100 round through it. I have heard that new barrels sometimes take more than 100 rounds to finally settle down and become consistant. Did you follow the manufacturer's break-in rules? Some feel this is very important.
I have a 7mm Mauser that can shoot remarkably well between the 10th and 20th rounds, but poorly before and after. Its an old military gun with a pitted bore and worn lands. I still enjoy it and know what to expect from it. I would not be happy with it if it were a new rifle with a new barrel, though.

[This message has been edited by Herodotus (edited May 20, 2000).]

Back