Forward directing brakes

I've got an ARP JAL and a Troy Claymore, both are linear compensators. They don't reduce recoil, what they do is cut the muzzle flash way down and direct the worst of the shockwave away from the shooter. Good choice for a hunting rifle where you can't have a supressor. Other options are Kaw Valley and Black River Tactical.

I just installed one of those exact brakes on a customer's rifle (he purchased it) a few weeks ago. I'll try to get in touch with him to see if he's had a chance to try it out.

Looked to me, as though it's main effect/purpose would be to make it "range friendly"- effectively nullifying side blast and noise when needed. I don't see how it could have any recoil-reducing effect with the shroud in place.

I have something similar on one of my 5.56 AR's. It is a better quality and different design. I recently put it on there.

The gun also has a heavy buffer. Without the can on the end there is zero recoil. Nada, zip, zilch. I can fire a strong of shots in a group as fast as I can pull the trigger. It is loud as hell.

With the can on there is some very mild recoil, say just above .22lr with zero muzzle rise. There is a slight jerk of inertia to one side or the other. The sound drops down to about what it was with just a flash suppressor.

It is loud as hell.
From the shooters position? The side? I assume you haven't tested forward of the rifle.
Could you link to the product you are using?

If it reduces noise to shooter and those adjacent more than a bare barrel I am interested in one. I just don't see how the shroud would do that. I can see where you get the flash suppression + forward direction of sound wave, but flash has never bothered me shooting in day light, so I have maybe one or two long arms where that would have any relevance.

I can see why that would be loud all around. Lots of little holes probably isn't any better than a few big ones. The interaction of the many pressure waves might spread it more. I don't know about that, but someone here might.

I can see why that would be loud all around. Lots of little holes probably isn't any better than a few big ones. The interaction of the many pressure waves might spread it more. I don't know about that, but someone here might.

I have never measured it. I might get the Db meter out this weekend and play with it. It just doesn't seem any louder than with just a flash hider. But without that shroud on it, oh boy, you won't shoot that much without some serious hearing protection.

Back