• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Forum suggestions

sumabich

Don, When I first joined TFL years ago we had lots of serious discussions and many of us learned the hard way that it is always best to type your response and revise several times before posting. In short, we had a very diverse crowd and you learned quickly to try and not offend people. But one thing I remember the most in the early days was the "fun". I'm pretty sure Sensop was the one who posted that "I'd smoke a turd in hell" for making him sneeze his drink through his nose and getting it on to his keyboard from a response I made to a post on a thread. I miss that and I never fail to get a smile when I think of it! Can we not have one forum thread that is just for fun and not necessarily gun related? One that is a little less heavy on the rules with a warning to all users reminding them of our diverse crowd and to "play nice". A thread to pass on a joke, or start up an outlandish topic (who was our member in Florida that always seemed to get into impossible situations involving alligators,critters and his neighborhood, that most of us felt were embellished?). The world has gotten so serious and I'd like to go back to some of the early day fun! Can you ask Rich and the other moderators what they think? Thanks for your consideration. Ken

It'll take some time before people lighten up and the fun comes back.

The start up of TFL was a little rocky and the election and war are taking its toll on some of us. It's nice to just talk about guns and that's why I'm here.

I'll ask everyone to wait until Sept 13th to start smiling again. :D

The party begins in 17 days.

Last edited:
There are plenty of gun-related boards with off-topic forums. Glocktalk, THR and FFF come to mind.

I don't speak for the boss, but I'd be willing to bet that an off-topic forum at The Firing Line won't be happening any time soon.

-Dave

One that is a little less heavy on the rules with a warning to all users reminding them of our diverse crowd and to "play nice".
I'd rather see us do away with any rules that are superfluous.

Ohhhhh, you're talking about the "must be firearms related rule". That one is not up for discussion.
:)
Rich

Wait, I'm here, I'm here!

No, I don't think we'll be going off topic soon, but there are a lot of good places for it. THR, in particular, has pretty much the same crowd.

I would also add the Your American Backyard forums Fernando Coelho built as a good place for off-topic stuff on motorcycles, trucks, hot rods, fishing and the like.

Back