Forty-Four Special

• Thread starter Thread starter PreserveFreedom
  • Start date Start date
P

PreserveFreedom

How does the recoil of 44spl compare to other rounds? Which of the following is it closest to, or which does it lie between? I am concerned with factory jacketed loads.

38spl
9mm
357 Magnum
40S&W
45ACP
44Magnum

None of them really. Probably the closest would the .45ACP in a revolver. It is more like the "push" of a mild (factory) loaded .45 Long Colt (but milder) than the sharp "snap" of the .357 magnum. It is a very pleasant round to shoot.
The closest would be a .44-40 if you have ever shot one of those.
Hope this helps,

Gunslinger nailed it. Of your selection, closest to .45ACP. Tis a wonderfully flexible round. Vary the load with the task. One of the all time most accurate loads. With a good steel large frame gun it can get into the .44mag territory. With a lightweight small gun it makes a great carry piece.

I am really sad that S&W didn't make a 3" 596.

Sam

As Gunslinger said it's going to be closest to standard 45 acp rounds if you're shooting them both in N frame guns, but the revolver is going to make a difference. Are you shooing the 44 special rounds in a tiny Charter Arms Bulldog, a N fram S&W or something in between?

Standard factory loaded 44 special rounds, other than Corbon, tend to be very light. In a K fram S&W they'll be about like a +P 38 Special in the same size gun.

John

44 special is fun to shoot and easy on the hand. Put 200 rounds of pmc and winchester through mine in about an hour and my hand wasn't even sore. If I put half that number through a .357 or .44 mag i will sure feel it! picked up a box of cor-bon yesterday and am curious to see what difference it will make.

Agree that .44 Spl = .45ACP in same-size revolver, IF you stick to the "Traditional loads:"
.45 ACP, 230 FMJRN @ 850
.44 Spl, 246 LRN @ 755.

There has been an unfortunate trend to REDUCE the .44 Spl in recent years. (Win 200 Silvertip HP at about 820.)
I'm not familiar with the Cor-Bon .44 Spl load. Is it another lightweight bullet with increased velocity?

The .44 Spl is a handloader's dream, though. 240 to 255 SWC bullets, even at moderate velocities, completely change the nature of the beast.

Best,
Johnny

The reason:
My fiance has recently shown much interest in 44 caliber handguns. When I had a 44 Magnum, she shot that, but it was a handful. I like the idea of the milder 44 spl. We are also planning to move back west (again) and the large amount of shot in a 44spl CCI shotshell would give her an advantage when it comes to snakes, IMHO. Would that comparison to 45ACP be out of an auto or just a wheelgun? Once things get caught up, I want to get her any gun that she desires, providing she can handle it, will use it, and will practice (properly) with it. Unfortunately, I have never fired 45LC, as I imagine that would probably be the closest. Maybe I should find a range around here that rents.

I recently got one of the Charter 2000 Bulldogs in .44 Spl. I like it so much, I'm thinking about a Taurus 445. I had been thinking about a S&W 625 for a long time, but the moon clips just seemed like self abuse:). So I got into the reloading manual and looked for a ballistic equivalent big bore and the .45 Auto Rim and .44 Special popped right out. No hard decision there! Availability of components did it for me. The .44 Special is a great cartridge and my CCI shotshells carry a bunch of snake medicine! BTW, the Galco Silhouette rides high and out of the way. And for everyday use, I like the thumbsnap.

[Edited by sensop on 05-26-2001 at 11:10 PM]

To me at least it is difficult to compare any revolver cartridge to an auto. The "feel" of the recoil from the slide cycling makes them dissimilar. But all and all they should be close as the "abuse" the hand receives.

.44 Special loads in an N frame are mild. In a 696 (stainless L frame) they have a little more punch, but still about .38 +P level in a K-38. The 296 Ti version of the L frame .44 was the most miserable, hand beating, gun I've ever shot. Worse than the .44 Mag and .45 Colt in the big N frames. Don't know if it was the light weight, or the slight difference in grip design between the 696 and the 296, but 10 rounds was all I could stand.

S&W .44 Mountain Gun ?

At 39 oz. it's a real pleasure to pack and the 4 inch brrl
offers a good sight radius. When backpacking out west, you can load a few snake shots and then 4 BIG HAMMERS in case the furry growlers come around. CCI makes a good compromise load with a 200 grn.GoldDot that runs 925 from my Mtn.with a S.D. of 10. Leave the Silver Tips on the shop shelf as they do LESS THAN 750 from the Mtn. and a M24-3 4 inch...dewey

If you have a 44 magnum, just load some rounds down for her and you. I like 7 to 8 grains of Unique and a cast bullet. Very light and accurate.

If you get a .44 Special give CCI-Blazers a try. They are loaded with the 200 grain Gold Dot Hollow Point. They are very accurate from my S&W 696. Sean

Johnny Guest, Corbon has a 44 special load that should be terrific as a defense load - as long as you're loading for defense from people and not potentially dangerous game where deep penetration is required.

Their latest greatest 44 special defense load is a 165gr HP at ~1,150 fps. I haven't fired any yet but it should have noticably less felt recoil than a the classic Skeeter Skelton 250gr load at 900fps.

I have to chime in with dewey......If you can find a S/W 44 mag mountain gun there at there best with 44spl.....firing 44mag's is abusive and comparable to that durn lew horton 3" 44mag that I couldnt wait to sell........but that light weight mountain revolver comes into its own with 44spl....and I also like the blazer gold dot in 44spl...fubsy.

I, too, have a .44 Mountain Gun and love it. Great versatility--I had it cut for moon clips, so I can race it with .44 specials or cart it out into the woods with full-house .44 mag loads. I don't find it particularly abusive with full-house loads until we get into the 300 gr bear medicine range, but it's definitely more gun than my 625.

Comparing .44 special and .45 ACP, if different guns, I find the mountain gun to have more recoil than the .45 ACP, also in a revovler. It's an unfair comparison, though, as the 625 is longer and heavier than the 629 MG.

Steve

.44 special out of my 8 inch ported Dan Wesson feel about the same as 9mm out of my Beretta 92 FS.

The .44 specials also typcially recoil about half the .44 magnum.

My wife does not like to shoot my .44 magnum, but I had her try the specials and she liked it. She didn't think it was any different than her 9mm.

We are all biased toward certain guns and certain calibers. I love the .44 magnum because I can shoot either the specials or the magnums. Some people will suggest other rounds like the .45 Colt because they reload to whatever power level they want. But the .44 magnum is abundant in all the stores in a variety of choices. The .44 special isn't quite as well stocked in the stores, but it is still pretty easy to find.

Inexpesive quality rounds are the CCI Blazer 200 grain JHP .44 special (about $14/50 at a gunshop) and CCI Blazer 240 grain JSP .44 magnum (about $17/50 at a gunshop). Both rounds hit at the exact same spot for me out to 50 yards. Therefore I have the luxury of not changing my sights when switching between specials and magnums. Other brands also keep the same point of aim when choosing the appropriate light and heavy bullets weights to match up.

I think shooting the .44 special through a .44 magnum is a great choice for a woman who wants to shoot a large caliber revolver but who generally doesn't want the blast, concusion, and recoil of the magnum.

JohnK--

Thanks for the input about the Cor Bon load, but it really is not my cuppa tea. My personal preference is for the full or nearly full weight bullets, and I do LOVE the old Skeeter load--I won't quote it here, because it exceeds current max, but if you called it by name, I presume you know the specs--and it does exactly what I want from a Ruger SBKH, my New Service, and any N-frame S&W that comes around. I must admit, it IS a bit fierce from a Charter Bulldog.

I believe the .44 Spl revolver is truly a special purpose gun nowadays--mostly for the nostalgia freaks, like me, or for those wanting a smaller frame, big bore gun. But the the .44 Spl cartridge is a wonderful thing for those with .44 Mag revolvers, who just want to shoot for fun and plinking, and don't need the full power of the mags.

Best,
Johnny

You can even buy "mid range" velocity loads from remington or ultramax cowboy loads for 44 mag that are as light to shoot as a 44 special without having two kinds of brass around.

Just a thought.

44 special is indeed rather like a 45 acp revolver, very little kick at all (in a FULL sized revolver). in a snubby or small frame like a Bull Dog i'm betting you will want squishy rubber grips.

Back